Any 'classic' Gamers Here?

Yes! Funland! That old bald guy who was about 4' tall, remember him? Probably dead now..

He was called Jack Karran and yes he is dead now, a really nice chap.

There is a pool cup named after him as he was massively involved in the local pool leagues.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were there 2 arcades around there? I can't remember the name but the one I used to go to was further along where I think River Island is now maybe? Used to have the starwars cabinet outside and the Monkey gift dispensing machine.

Inside they had operation Wolf, and Darius, which was ****ing ace because it had 3 screens on it! Would love to play that again.

I'm currently playing through FF VI on SNES, but I doubt this is oldschool enough to qualify!

I tried plugging my snes in the other day. My 6 year old was beside himself with excitement, but it didn't work.

Went in the bin :(

Were there 2 arcades around there? I can't remember the name but the one I used to go to was further along where I think River Island is now maybe? Used to have the starwars cabinet outside and the Monkey gift dispensing machine.

Inside they had operation Wolf, and Darius, which was ****ing ace because it had 3 screens on it! Would love to play that again.

There were four arcades in town that I remember:

Sun Valley - where Burtons is now

The Leisure Inn - Still there

Gah Can't remember the name of it, but opposite the leisure. Only had gambling machines and turned into the Golden Fry caf.

Funland - pretty sure it's where capones is, but I could be wrong on the exact position.

Yes funland had the 3 screen darius cab. WARNING A LARGE SPACESHIP APPROACHING!

Best of times: Mad Planets in Sun Valley, the music was the fucking nuts. Oh and the day The I-robot machine arrived in the Leisure, solid 3d man, woo!

I tried plugging my snes in the other day. My 6 year old was beside himself with excitement, but it didn't work.

Went in the bin :(

Bloody hell, I wouldn't like to be a child growing up in your house!

Still, I suppose it's one less mouth to feed.

Perhaps my nick is a give away? Old school retro gamer here.

Horace goes skiing, Manic miner, Jet set willy, ik+, Elite, Kick off, sensible soccer etc etc played/owned all the classic computers/consoles.

Arcades - Double Dragon, Space Harrier, Afterburner, Outrun, The Star wars games, Operation Wolf + Thunderbolt.

Fucking ace days. And thanks to Xbox arcade and Mame - can still play em all. Swish!

Didn't the Rendevous used to have arcade machines (possibly just gamblers?)

Your right, but I can't remember any games of note there. Did they have a defender?

They had a proper 'buttons only' defender in Summerland. It was nails. Summerland had some seriously collectable classics that would be worth a fortune today, like that 4 player table football game and a tailgunner cab.

Anyone remember any games in the Villa arcade? I've a vague memory of an Rtype machine, but that might have been in Onchan park (probably still there :) )

The 360's (and probably ps3) are great if you like retro, there's a good few remakes of retro games on Live with the visuals brushed up. Loads of retro classics on wiiware too.

Thargoid: Elite on the zx spectrum was the first game where I woke up in the night believing I was a space ship commander, happy days :)

Too many posts I want to quote, and I can't figure out how to do it!

I have an R-Type upright; my favourite (if not fckn impossible) shooter. So many classic games mentioned here, really surprised at the interest and nostalgia to be honest!

I can never be bothered trying retro games on Live or PSN - certainly the PS3 ones get crappy reviews. Nothing beats the real thing though, even tho I love MAME :)

Archived