It Get's Worse

manshimajin

And to think that we were worried about the £:€ exchange rate.... According to this article the Zimbabwe dollar and the UK pound were approximately at parity when Robert Mugabe took over.

100 Trillion Note

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Germany 1923, highest value reached was for 50 billion (50,000,000,000) marks

...we all know what happened after that...

If you are hinting at a rise in fascism, then as Skeddan showed we already have a fascist state.

"We"? Are you a Zimbabwean now?

S

S

What are you talking about? Maybe I misunderstood but RC-Drifts comment was about how Britian might go. I don't think there is much going to change in Zimbabwe. It has been totalitarian for quite some time, though maybe not fascist. Though I remember Skeddan making a post about how New Labour in many respect has an ideology and policies which mirror fascism.

S

What are you talking about? Maybe I misunderstood but RC-Drifts comment was about how Britian might go. I don't think there is much going to change in Zimbabwe. It has been totalitarian for quite some time, though maybe not fascist. Though I remember Skeddan making a post about how New Labour in many respect has an ideology and policies which mirror fascism.

This is a thread about inflation in Zim.

S

Yes, that's right! I just thought RC-Drift was alluding to something else.

How is it possible to bring the inflation rate down when it has got so high?

They have to stop printing money.

When they get rid of Mugabe, the IMF will lend them some money, subject to strict conditions, and aid will flow in. They will issue a new currency and with a bit of sense and good luck might be able to get things going again.

But they'll never get back to where they were because the have permanently destroyed the agricultural sector which was the mainstay of the economy. Zim was once called the breadbasket of Africa.

S

That's what I was wondering about a new currency, but wasn't sure if adopting a new currency is a panacea in itself.

Taking money off the IMF is a bit of a risk though, is it not? Don't governments have to accept free trade in place in order to receive funds? But in having free trade I would have thought this would leave the vulnerable economy in a position to find it extremely difficult to develop an export market. Maybe 'no string' aid might be of greater benefit to a better run Zimbabwe.

I wonder if the people will be able to oust Mugabe, I am not too hopeful. The situation there is desperate the opposition does not even seem to having the ability to remove him. Who knows though.

That's what I was wondering about a new currency, but wasn't sure if adopting a new currency is a panacea in itself.

Taking money off the IMF is a bit of a risk though, is it not? Don't governments have to accept free trade in place in order to receive funds? But in having free trade I would have thought this would leave the vulnerable economy in a position to find it extremely difficult to develop an export market. Maybe 'no string' aid might be of greater benefit to a better run Zimbabwe.

I wonder if the people will be able to oust Mugabe, I am not too hopeful. The situation there is desperate the opposition does not even seem to having the ability to remove him. Who knows though.

It would be a bigger risk not to take money from the IMF.

The grim reaper will do his work eventually.

S

Archived