Save The Live Music Scene At Bbb!

Pig Destroyer

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

??? how can it be Open as it was it NOT the 'Last Nite' of the Basement Bar on the 10th of Jan???

In all fairness I really dont think Julie is Bothered in running the Bar anymore, that the feeling i get anyhow

In all fairness I really dont think Julie is Bothered in running the Bar anymore, that the feeling i get anyhow

I don't think that is the case at all. I see her getting tittzed off about the poor level of support, but doing something about that support - better advertising, building a regular clientele etc. - is obviously proving difficult. She needs to improve her marketing IMO i.e. get posters up at IOM college, more info out on Manxbands and elsewhere if not already doing it etc. etc. etc. She operates separately from Bushy's as far as I know so I don't think she can even advertise in there, other than people seeing the blackboard outside down the lane. It really needs marketing properly, as even Manxbands only seem to get around 40 views on their website when people are looking at various gigs on there so it's obviously not effective.

Surely people want to go to, and look for, live music here? Maybe if she got a few of the better more popular bands down there (e.g. Brazen etc.) to support live music on the island it would be better - personally I don't know who half these other bands are. I do know that the best thing to discourage 20 plus people from a venue is to open it up to spotty 16 years olds IMO - that should be kept to a weekday night, and encouraging the 18+ drinkers in on Fri/Sats. There are many ways of marketing/advertising on the cheap/freely - and she needs to get her thinking hat on, as do all supporters of live music on the island, before live music dies a death along with the majority of pubs.

How can it claim to even be a venue? Once a half decent band have set their kit up in there, there's hardly any room left for an audience. My living room is bigger than any of the rooms down there.

Anywhere can be a 'venue'. When you reach 60 and celebrate all you've achieved in life, along with all the friends and admirers you have built up over the years - even that phone box will still be classed as a 'venue'.

Facebook / myspace?

Both good tools for promotion of this type (and for feedback too).

Don't know much about facebook and all that...but is it feasible for someone/a couple of people, to run a stand-alone 'what's on' type of page/profile so that people can 'sign it up as a friend' or whatever, so it can become a link on numerous other profiles/groups?

Facebook / myspace?

It's on facebook.

I don't understand why it's run separately from the rest of the rovers. Surely it'd be better to run it as part of the upstairs bit, and just open it at weekends for bands. Best of both then, eh?

but is it feasible for someone/a couple of people, to run a stand-alone 'what's on' type of page/profile so that people can 'sign it up as a friend' or whatever, so it can become a link on numerous other profiles/groups?

Not sure about all of the above. You can set up a Facebook group, invite people to join etc. You can then post events on there and message all of the group members. I'm not too sure if you can link it to other groups but I do seem to remember seeing 'related groups' or something similiar on there before when I've been viewing something.

Not sure about all of the above. You can set up a Facebook group, invite people to join etc. You can then post events on there and message all of the group members. I'm not too sure if you can link it to other groups but I do seem to remember seeing 'related groups' or something similiar on there before when I've been viewing something.

Not sure why, but the BBB is set up as a user on facebook rather than a group.

This is being advertised on Facebook, unfortunately I must not be friends with any of you, as I have invited everyone I know, as have a few other people. There is a user profile for BBB, as well as a group, and this, set up as an event.. You've just got to look for it.

It's also been advertised in the papers, and on the radio. We're promoting this just fine, I'd say. Based on the amount of people who have confirmed over Facebook, it'll probably reach capacity pretty fast.

Advertising on MySpace, well, you need to be friends with the bands involved, as they are the only ones advertising through MySpace...

It's all there, you just aren't looking in the right place, it would seem. :P

How can it claim to even be a venue? Once a half decent band have set their kit up in there, there's hardly any room left for an audience. My living room is bigger than any of the rooms down there.

Sorry, I know what you are and everything, but no, thats completely wrong. It would be better if that wall was knocked down so it would be stage on one end, bar on the other, but it's a basement, it'd require more thought than that, structually etc.

And some of the bands should be doing their own promotion as well.

How do you mean?

Archived