[BBC News] Unemployment rise no 'surprise'

Newsbot

No mention of people being thick as fuck and unemployable. We are trying to recruit atm and I kid you not, it is depressing.

Ah yes, the unmentionable unemployable 500 - the 'can't work', 'won't work', 'ex-cons' or 'substance dependent'. 500 even when times were great.

It's the level above 500 that is the serious indicator.

Edited to add. 712 was the last official count (Dec), but that doesn't include a possible few extra dozen that have gone in Dec/Jan so far. To be fair, it is probably an unemployable 400, I forgot to allow a generous 100 - accounting for general employment movements.

The rise in unemployment figures in the Isle of Man last month is not surprising, says the island's Treasury Minister.

Is it me or does this sound like he couldn't care less? :huh:

He's probably just tired. He's one of the few MHKs that has to work for his living in these credit crunching, bank munching, FSC lunching, Peter Karran punching days.

Prediction - unemployment to be +2000 by end of 2009.

I don't think it'll get that high, I hope not anyway. In a years time if unemployment does start to rise significantly the work permit system should have started to impact (10,000 WP's currently issued annually), and if it doesn't and unemployment is that high (or even hits 1000/1200), there'll be a helluva stink and many MHKs will find themselves under a great deal of pressure to ensure it does start to operate properly.

Any MHKs worth their salt will be looking into this now in preparation.

Prediction - unemployment to be +2000 by end of 2009.

I don't think it'll get that high, I hope not anyway. In a years time if unemployment does start to rise significantly the work permit system should have started to impact (10,000 WP's currently issued annually), and if it doesn't and unemployment is that high (or even hits 1000/1200), there'll be a helluva stink and many MHKs will find themselves under a great deal of pressure to ensure it does start to operate properly.

Any MHKs worth their salt will be looking into this now in preparation.

High unemployment isn't the only problem, even if you manage to keep unemployment low though migratory workers leaving, that still means reduced tax revenues and less money in the economy.

Been watching the vacancy count creep down at the job centre. Was 250 in december, 190 a week ago, down to 157 today.

It had to happen. What will happen? Do you think they will have to stop re-newing work permits & stuff like that? It is a bit scary really. I think we might move to Iceland, they took the hit first and will probably be the first to recover, meanwhile back in the UK/Isle of Man the Ostriches bury their heads up each others arses.

Archived