[BBC News] Unemployment rise no 'surprise'

Newsbot

Fear not!

Our thriving Tourist industry will save the day...

...especially the new 'living finance sector' and 'spud and herring juggling' museum exhibits. I heard a rumour too they also have a steam racket ticket for exhibit that once cost less than a weeks wages, though personally I'd have to see that to believe it.

It had to happen. What will happen? Do you think they will have to stop re-newing work permits & stuff like that? It is a bit scary really. I think we might move to Iceland, they took the hit first and will probably be the first to recover, meanwhile back in the UK/Isle of Man the Ostriches bury their heads up each others arses.

I dont think the heads are in the sand at all. I know the dhss are compiling stats much more frequently than they were this time last year. It's not like it's something the government are ignoring.

What they can do about it is another matter, this isn't a local issue, and we're faring better than many economies. It's easy to blame, but what can be done differently?

We are still technically not in recession.

It's not like it's something the government are ignoring.

Maybe a few, but not many of the other 11495 out of 11500 - sat on pensions, in relative job security...oblivious to the workings of the real world.

Oh yeah, your average civil servant will be 'what credit crunch'. I expect they'll be hit too though once government revenues drop. At every level, government revenues will be dropping too, not just from the vat blow.

I notice the final quater fsc stats haven't gone up yet:

http://www.gov.im/fsc/stats.xml

Archived