Lewis Hamilton Immortalized On Iom Stamp

%age

I can just about understand the UK Royal Mail issuing a Postage Stamp in honour of Lewis Hamilton's sporting achievements but I'll be fucked if I can understand why the Isle of Man Government Post Office has done so, unless, as it was suggested on the Mannin Line, it is in adulation of his undoubted services to global tax dodging.

Harry Potter has similarly fed the cash cow of selling pieces of cringly edged sticky back paper for a lot of money.

I think this just makes the Isle of Man look like a load of talentless spivs who will sell anything for a fastback. Which we're not. Are we.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The same could be said about a lot of the others:

Ocean Liners

Henry VIII 500th Anniversary

100 Years of Naval Aviation

RAF 90th Anniversary

etc

But these are collectors items for stamp collectors so why not? They were commisioned by Mclaren themselves and were launched at Mclaren’s head office on the same day their new MP-24 Formula 1 car for 2009 was unveiled.

I don't see the problem...

%age :) I wondered why? too. Stamp collectors, there are a lot of them about...although I have to say, I do not know anyone who collects stamps. Everything is all about money and marketing these days, modern life is rubbish and people are too.

Nothing pleases me today :( Road works, NHS, stupid stamps and bureaucracy beyond reason. Long live the pope.

The same could be said about a lot of the others:

Ocean Liners

Henry VIII 500th Anniversary

100 Years of Naval Aviation

RAF 90th Anniversary

I don't see the problem...

Think of a subject, any subject at all, that people might be interested in. In fact it doesn't really have to be too interesting, as the fact that it is on a First Day Cover at all makes it, to some, a must have collectible abd hey presto! the suckers who need every FDC are queueing up with their anoraks on and their pocket money.

I don't see the problem either.

Just wish I'd thought of it first.

I inherited my Dad's vast stamp collection, on which he spent thousands of pounds on buying FDC and mint stamps.

Dealers are not interested in Queen ER stamps nor is anyone on Ebay.

My Dad thought they would be an investment

You deleted my bit about being commisioned by Mclaren. You can't just pick a brand and do what you want.

But I still don't get it. Why did McLaren commission the Isle of Man to produce some stamps for them? * We should have told them to fuck off. But we didn't because - anything for a bit of an earner and some publicity eh.

It comes to a transparent stage where all we are doing is simply just producing the aforementioned crinkly bits of paper and selling it on for a huge profit. The captured audience of stamp collectors will say "hold on, fuck this, the emperor is naked as a fucken jay-bird". Except they can't because then they let the cat out of the bag and they would in effect be devaluing all those silly bits of coloured paper in the bottom drawer.

*I assume the Royal Mail did it for free, although they stopped short of putting the arch tax-dodger's silhouetted head in place of the Queen's

Normally we rant because government departments throw money away. The Post Office does something to earn a few quid and we have a rant about that as well!

FFS!

I don't care what or who they're celebrating - if it works and makes economic sense - first class!

You deleted my bit about being commisioned by Mclaren. You can't just pick a brand and do what you want.

But I still don't get it. Why did McLaren commission the Isle of Man to produce some stamps for them? * We should have told them to fuck off. But we didn't because - anything for a bit of an earner and some publicity eh.

It comes to a transparent stage where all we are doing is simply just producing the aforementioned crinkly bits of paper and selling it on for a huge profit. The captured audience of stamp collectors will say "hold on, fuck this, the emperor is naked as a fucken jay-bird". Except they can't because then they let the cat out of the bag and they would in effect be devaluing all those silly bits of coloured paper in the bottom drawer.

*I assume the Royal Mail did it for free, although they stopped short of putting the arch tax-dodger's silhouetted head in place of the Queen's

For God's sake, stamps and coins are a nice little earner for the IOM. If we were a nation of 60 million people, we could probably find enough Manxmen (and women) to celebrate, but the fact is that Mann is a small place, and there's no more famous Manx people than there are famous Belgians.

S

I'll come clean then as I have a vested interest. We designed them and are an independent Manx design company commissioned by IOM Post who were commissioned by Mclaren.

We're glad that work like this is available to us here on the Island instead of going off-island to an English company. It's been well received by Mclaren and Lewis himself.

It's a product. You don't like it, others do. I don't see it as something to knock though. Welcome to the world of freedom of choice in purchasing.

Its all in my sig, I suppose. kb.

As I said before - I wish I'd thought of it. But nice job all the same slinkydevil, well done you all.

But what doesn't sit comfortably is the fact that we proclaim ourselves to be a nation with our own laws, parliament, language and coinage and stamps, and everything else.

So isn't this just jumping on a band wagon to make a few bob and to pick up someobe else's stardust and basque in other's reflected glory? It is of course, and well yeah, what is wrong with that?

Well what's wrong with that is, it's er, jumping on a bandwagon just to make a few bob etc. Jeez It's a gullible world out there where fools and their money are easily parted.

Perhaps all this epitomiises the Island and that is why the Isle of Man is so, so affluent.

Freedom to Fleece and all that.

Archived