Today In Tynwald

%age

Can be heard on Manx Radio AM just now.

Website here:

http://www.txradica.net/tune.php?c=manxevents&.wvx

General stuff going on.

No chance of the BBC licence fee being scrapped on the Isle of Man

Governor is present

George Reid MP chappie, who was guest of honour at the President of Tynwald;s Business Breakfast this morning at the Empress was given a good sucking up to by President of Tynwald Noel Cringle

Stu Peters is reading this topic

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming up. less contentious subjects:

12. The Hon Member for Douglas East (Mrs Cannell) to ask the Minister for

Tourism and Leisure –

When the Villa Marina Arcade and Colonnade will be completed and open

for business?

13. The Hon Member for Peel (Mr Crookall) to ask the Minister for Tourism and

Leisure –

If he will make a statement on the Summerland site?

Oh dear, "The Ballacain Affair" was mentioned in passing, when discussing Tourist Grants.

Ya could have heard a pin drop....

I thought we had all agreed to "draw a line under that one". You know, "move on"

I think the new Minister of Tourism has a few more concerns than to be reminded of that particular er, peccadillo

Whats the lark with the TV Tax then?

The UK can pull out of agreements at the drop of a hat - why can we not pull out of the TV Tax agreement?

unless ...

I'm sure we could pull out of that no probs, but it would be an open act of warfare. Plus we screw the UK for one heck of a lot more than the mere few £million we pay to the BBC.

The UK can pull out of agreements at the drop of a hat - why can we not pull out of the TV Tax agreement?

unless ...

Do you want to? Do you want to have our transponders disconnected so we receive no terrestrial telly, and our internets blocked so we can't get on any bbc websites?

I have pals in Holland, France, Spain, USA and Canada.

Europe can get BBC signals via Sat for free, and access to the BBC website in all areas.

Do they pay for it?

Whats the problem?

I could take stuff from the supermarket for free, doesn't mean I want to. I'd rather be a legitimate receiver.

They get a different bbc website for now, no iplayer, etc.

Mention of what to do with the Wurlitzer in connection with the Villa Marina Colonnade, one member shouted out 'build a bonfire'.

There were no hoots of laughter and no muffled titter running around the court. Ah well, I suppose you've got to try for a laugh when the occasion arises.

I have pals in Holland, France, Spain, USA and Canada.

Europe can get BBC signals via Sat for free, and access to the BBC website in all areas.

Do they pay for it?

Whats the problem?

I could take stuff from the supermarket for free, doesn't mean I want to. I'd rather be a legitimate receiver.

They get a different bbc website for now, no iplayer, etc.

And thats a bad thing?

So - thats the only difference then. I will no longer be able to see the shit BBC put out again - on my PC.

unless ...

Do you want to? Do you want to have our transponders disconnected so we receive no terrestrial telly, and our internets blocked so we can't get on any bbc websites?

No big loss there Sky and Freesat is much better (in fact I do not use terrestrial TV anymore) and I for one have never used the BBC play website.

It's incredible, isn't it. I'm constantly amazed at the fact that people will pay up to £50 a month to watch "The World's Barkiest Dog" et al broadcast on Sky etc. yet moan like a Man Utd. manager when asked to pay less than £200 a year for 4 TV channels, a quality news service and umpteen radio stations operating at a far higher standard than any others*

Just look at the utter moronic drivel aimed at people with a reading age of less than 4 years that's constantly being pumped-out by the satelite channels and then take a look at BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4.

* Radio 1 is the obvious exception

Archived