Today In Tynwald

%age

I subscribe to Sky for the Rugby Union, I find there coverage far superior to BBCs, more camera's, better presenters and reviews.

For me its worth the 50 quid a month.

Yes but most of the £50 you pay to Sky probably ends up paying for Football.

I would have no problem paying Sky if I had greater choice to what I subscribed to. If I want to whatch rugby, cricket etc I have to sign up to Sky Sports plus there general package even if I do not want Sky 1, 2 etc and even if most of the sports money as I say goes towards football.

Also Sky get it both ways as they advertising revenue on top so I am buying for there programming by paying more for goods to cover the advertising spend.

Ultimately compared to Sky the BBC is great value for money except if you are a football supporter, although that is less the case than it was since Sentena have bought up rights.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BBC mobile videos don't work - says "sorry, only UK". Still having issues remembering where part of their license money comes from then?

You need to contact your mobile phone service provider.

MT? Why?

I have pals in Holland, France, Spain, USA and Canada.

Europe can get BBC signals via Sat for free, and access to the BBC website in all areas.

Do they pay for it?

Whats the problem?

I use a 90cms dish here and get a stonking signal. As I don't have a UK-registered IP address I can't download progs from the BBC website - but I record what I want anyway.

There's no restriction to the BBC website - which is not a good source of late breaking news.

BBC mobile videos don't work - says "sorry, only UK". Still having issues remembering where part of their license money comes from then?

You need to contact your mobile phone service provider.

MT? Why?

Well when people had problems with the iPlayer via broadband it turned out that it was to do with IP ranges I think. And IIRC MT quickly sorted it out by talking directly to the BBC IT people and making sure that the MT IPs were added into the mix.

I suppose you could try to contact the BBC yourself and get it sorted - but the chances are that MT will be able to get it sorted out more quickly.

I subscribe to Sky for the Rugby Union, I find there coverage far superior to BBCs, more camera's, better presenters and reviews.

For me its worth the 50 quid a month.

Clearly the BBC license fee is severely under-priced if people are prepared to pay £50.00 a month just to watch some sweaty males pawing each other.

S

Just checking what the BBC is offering right now - BBC1 a documentary on UK knife crime, BBC2 a documentary celebrating the colonization of Ireland, BBC3 Little Britain - the epitome of drivel, BBC 4 - a crappy looking juvenile humor based drama. No wonder I don't watch the EBC.

Ever wondered why your TV licence fee costs so much? Well on Wednesday of this week the BBC launched Persian TV, a Farsi language channel aimed at the Iranian market, at the small cost of £15 million a year.

So that’s the entire population of Cambridge contributing every penny of their licence fee to provide a television channel for people in a distant foreign country who aren’t going to pay a penny for the service. Why? What is going on here

It's called diplomacy. You should try it sometime. And, as another poster has already commented, it is paid for by the Foreign Office: not the licence fee.

The BBC World Service is the best and most cost-effective ambassador that the UK has. Cutting it would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Just checking what the BBC is offering right now - BBC1 a documentary on UK knife crime, BBC2 a documentary celebrating the colonization of Ireland, BBC3 Little Britain - the epitome of drivel, BBC 4 - a crappy looking juvenile humor based drama. No wonder I don't watch the EBC.

You obviously didn't watch the classic, funny and beautifully crafted Early Doors on BBC4 at the same time then.

Well, that was an interesting Tynwald thread.

You'd think they could manage to put on one stimulating programme at any particular time. Wall-to-wall trash is very dispiriting, and weakens their case for a tax on viewers (sorry: licence fee).

S

Ever wondered why your TV licence fee costs so much? Well on Wednesday of this week the BBC launched Persian TV, a Farsi language channel aimed at the Iranian market, at the small cost of £15 million a year.

So that’s the entire population of Cambridge contributing every penny of their licence fee to provide a television channel for people in a distant foreign country who aren’t going to pay a penny for the service. Why? What is going on here

It's called diplomacy. You should try it sometime. And, as another poster has already commented, it is paid for by the Foreign Office: not the licence fee.

The BBC World Service is the best and most cost-effective ambassador that the UK has. Cutting it would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

So we're not paying for it then? Thank goodness for that!

The original quote was not mine - surprise surprise, because I'm far more diplomatic than that.

The full column from Barry Beelzebub - he's always a good read...

Archived