How Is The Retail Sector Performing?

Max Power

Just thought that this would be an opportunity to get a feeling for how things are going in these strange times.

I'm involved in the motor trade and there are winners and losers on the sales side. Some brands are performing ok whilst others are well down. Overall I would say that for the time of year, business is around 30 - 40% down.

Vehicle servicing doesn't seem to be affected at all, nobody seems to be putting off repairs or concerned about spending their money on maintenance.

It makes you wonder if much of the retail gloom is actually created by the media's frenzy to report bad news, even if it isn't really so bad at the time. They just add to a self fulfilling prophecy of doom!

Business ticking along ok at my work. December & January are usually fairly quiet anyway. It would be nice to think this is a media frenzy but, it aint boss, its a world wide recession, it had to happen. IMHO I think lending has to stop, never mind increase, pull the reigns in and tether the rampant beast :)

not exactly retail but a good indication of how much spare cash people have.

Or a good indication that its just been too cold to walk anywhere in the last few weeks?

The clue is in the bit where I compared with this time last year, when it was also winter.

Or a good indication that its just been too cold to walk anywhere in the last few weeks?

The clue is in the bit where I compared with this time last year, when it was also winter.

Are fares up 25% then? :P

My taxi business turnover is about 15% higher than this time last year, not exactly retail but a good indication of how much spare cash people have.

I'm similar to last year in turnover but much improved in profit. The high fuel prices of last year prompted many changes in the way we operate. Now that fuel has come down a bit and other other expenses have been trimed back we are in better shape than we were twelve months ago. Going to be cautious for the next few months, not taking anything for granted.

Or a good indication that people have had to sell their cars.

S

Are fares up 25% then? :P

No, they went up by 4.5% last April.

I've received two CVs this week and we're not even advertising any jobs

Just had a third CV hand delivered this afternoon. Three in three days is unheard of, I think we're in for a hard time and we're not insulated from this mess.

think u be getting a few more of them in the comeing months

I've received two CVs this week and we're not even advertising any jobs

Just had a third CV hand delivered this afternoon. Three in three days is unheard of, I think we're in for a hard time and we're not insulated from this mess.

think u be getting a few more of them in the comeing months

Hopefully not written in text speak :o

Archived