John Shimmin Rattled

Moghrey Mie

Ex-teacher John Shimmin told Bill Malarkey MHK to "Sit down!' in Tynwald yesterday.

He was obviously rattled because it was revealed that green waste from the Middle River amenity site is going to the incinerator to be burnt and Mr Malarky suspected that green waste was being taken to Ballaughton Nurseries by Douglas Corporation.

Mr Shimmin's defence was that he doesn't micro-manage his department. But even if he delegates he should know what is going on.

I was listening to the debate, and to be honest, have to stick up for Mr Shimmin.

Whilst he is the DOLGE Minister, DOLGE subcontract the Eastern Civic Amenity Site operation out to Douglas Corporation.

Mr Shimmin answered a question about how much "Green Waste" is dumped at each of the islands amenity sites and what happens to it. He said that the waste dumped at the Eastern site is taken to the incinerator.

Mr Marlarkey then asks him to confirm that some of the green waste from the Eastern site is not taken to the Corpy's Ballaughton site and composted (which they couldn't do as the licence for Ballaughton only allows the disposal of the Corpy's own waste). Mr Shimmin refused to confirm this saying that Mr Marlarkey should prehaps ask his wife who is a Corpy Counciller as she may have a better idea! Mr Marlarkey obviously seems to think that some green waste is taken from the Eastern site up to Ballaughton (which shouldn't happen), and seemed to be trying to get Mr Shimmin to confirm this.

Mr Shimmin quite rightly delegates roles in his department out to managers etc and I don't expect him to know all the little ins and outs of everything that happens in the department. I'm pretty sure that if you went up to the Mayor of Douglas and asked "can you confirm that a lorry full of green waste has left the Eastern Amenity site and dumped it's load up at Ballaughton?", the Mayor would equally not know the answer. Mr Shimmin did say that if Mr Marlarkey had any concerns then he should get in touch with DOLGE and they would be investigated.

Mr Shimmin also, quite rightly, said that Tynwald wasn't really the place for debate on where lorry loads of waste were sent to or from, as these types of enquiries could quite easily be discussed and sorted out between MHK's and the various departments without having to waste time in Tynwald.......

It's sad that we have supposedly national politicians playing games with local politics.

Unfortunately, some need to keep having their voices heard in Tynwald so that their voters will believe that they are doing a good job.

If people are going to the trouble of sorting out green waste they must be thinking it's going to get composted.

Its dishonest for the government or people working on their behalf to be doing anything else.

Open and honest, my arse!

Edit.

Apparently none of it is burnt after all, good :)

I've got a horrible feeling that our elected members have already started to think about the next election. Cue the huge amount of pointless questions that are only really aimed at raising their profile. First term backbenchers are likely to be worst culprits.

When tel's were running it all the green stuff went to the compost place in st johns, ballaneven organic compost

it aint hard to recycle green waste all you do is let nature do it. :D

I have to apologise, seems that i miss-understood what was told to me, aparantly the following happens.

The green waste was supposed to be transported to Ballaughton Nurseries, but due to complaints from residents, DOLGE requested that all green waste was instead transported to the Incinerator for burning.

I have to apologise, seems that i miss-understood what was told to me, aparantly the following happens.

The green waste was supposed to be transported to Ballaughton Nurseries, but due to complaints from residents, DOLGE requested that all green waste was instead transported to the Incinerator for burning.

That's wrong as well. Nothing to do with DOLGE. The Corporation never had a licence to use Ballaughton for that waste, and Malarkey and David Cretney campaigned against them getting one. The waste has always been burnt at the incinerator.

Maybe you should engage brain and consult before you post then? I'm looking forward to another totally different correction from you tomorrow along the lines of "Lawnmower is right I've now been told that waste has always been burnt at the incinerator"

Archived