Solar Storm Warning

pongo

will be worth looking for the northern lights tonight (sunday 15/7) if it stays clear enough, there have been the effects of the aurora on radio signals since mid afternoon so maybe a chance of a visual display when it goes dark enough ~ and the heavens don't cloud over as usual :lol:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will be worth looking for the northern lights tonight (sunday 15/7) if it stays clear enough, there have been the effects of the aurora on radio signals since mid afternoon so maybe a chance of a visual display when it goes dark enough ~ and the heavens don't cloud over as usual laugh.png

I take it this is as a result of the very large solar flare that was on the news a couple of days ago.

How many days of aurora display could we expect to see from this?

will be worth looking for the northern lights tonight (sunday 15/7) if it stays clear enough, there have been the effects of the aurora on radio signals since mid afternoon so maybe a chance of a visual display when it goes dark enough ~ and the heavens don't cloud over as usual laugh.png

I take it this is as a result of the very large solar flare that was on the news a couple of days ago.

How many days of aurora display could we expect to see from this?

I think it takes 40 hours or so for the heavy particles from the eruption reach the earth's atmosphere to cause the aurora.

You'll usually only get one event, maybe just the one day or a few hours, this one seems to have rotated across the states and by the time it comes back across russia it is fading out, there's little of it left today

I went out late last night but didn't see any display, but took advantage of the radio effects during the afternoon

here's one of the images of its current position

Ovation_USA.png

http://www.solarham.net/ shows a lot of info

Gutted I missed it too. The last time I heard that it might be visible, it was cloudy and raining. I didn't even hear that it would be visible this time. Might check tonight though, just in case.

seems to have all gone flat again, so you might just get wet :(

is it just me or do people just upload very dark pictures without any tweaking, and you can hardly see anything ?

Aren't digital cameras supposed to be capable of adjusting their own exposures for those who can't work them manually ?

the original hystogram is rather limited

does this look a little better ?

post-1026-0-85373200-1342536531_thumb.jpg

post-1026-0-79387300-1342536793_thumb.jpg

Archived