40mph Noobs!

WaZo

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think it is, that's why.

I think it's recommended in the Highway code at night for the rear reflectors, but in the day, you can park it facing which ever way you please.

Sadly, I think you'll find it is not a recommendation, but your actual law. Turning across an oncoming line of traffic in order to park is an inherently dangerous manoeuvre. Once parked, the driver does not have a clear view of oncoming traffic when wishing to turn out, since he is now squashed up against the pavement and probably tucked in behind another vehicle. It is not only dangerous, but illegal.

I do not understand why the police are not enforcing it.

It would also have the not insignificant advantage of forcing a few of the lazy tossers concerned to lose a bit of weight by walking like they should have done in the first place.

Would you accept that what you might think and what is the current law are two entirely separate things?

Yes I would accept that.

I think it's recommended in the Highway code at night for the rear reflectors, but in the day, you can park it facing which ever way you please.

It certainly used to be - I know someone who was issued with a ticket for it years ago on the Ballabrooie estate iirc, along with several others. A new bobby trying to mark the territory I believe.

Oops??

It's a law at night only, I've checked.

Correct. It's at night only so that the correct vehicle reflectors are showing. Even then I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being done for it.

Regarding slow drivers on the IOM, I was glad of them during TT. I hired a car, a Matiz no less, and the only thing I managed to overtake all week was an 80 year old woman driving a Micra doing 25mph in a de-restricted zone! It must have looked a bit like the snail race from the old Guiness ad.

I have noticed even over here in the UK, you get the folk that drive at 40mph in the 60 zones, and then continue to drive at 40 in the 30 zones!

Archived