Road Closed In Onchan

The Thriller

Some people buy a top flight car, not to drive it as designed, but for several other reasons. Status, level of standard options etc etc, it is not always about the actual perfomrance of the car. There are Ferraris and Porsches over here that have never been past 50 mph (other than when they are in for a service).

The Ballahutchin incident was very clear from the outset as to what had happened, this case is completely different and as such should be left well alone until all the facts are in. I have been very hasty in the past to jump in with my 'views' on incidents, but I am shocked and a little upset about this one, and will be keeping my views to myself.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there must be a huge difference in build quality between the real rally version and the road offering. the rally version allows people to walk out of it at crashes nearing 3 figures, the road one seems to not offer this security at 30????

It's not necessarily build quality, but in a rally car you are properly restrained, head support is better, you're wearing a helmet and the car is a lot lighter (everything extra, AC/heaters etc stripped out)

Hmmm very sad. Those Subaru cars seem to be a bit dangerous, my mates mate had one (he is also dead now) do they 'drive' differently from normal cars?

They're just bloody stupidly fast, the wrx's are anyway. Insurance group 18, which means the insurance companies are almost certain you will crash it at some point. How is something that's been judged so risky by insurance permitted on the roads? They've no place on the roads, cars like that should be limited to the track.

Very sad news about the driver, awful news.

How do you define 'stupidly fast'? Scoobies are a very quick car, no two ways about it, and the turbo kick on them can be a bit mental, but there's nothing inherently dangerous about them, same as any performance vehicle, it's down to the driver understanding how it works, and what it can and can't do. The smartest thing someone can do when getting themselves a car of this nature is doing an advanced driving course and/or getting it up at Jurby to get a proper feel for it.

All that said, the Scooby has been around for a while now, and a lot of the 90s ones are getting a bit raggedy, plus they're cheap to buy, but not necessarily always maintained properly, I saw one parked in town a few weeks ago that had two bald tyres on it, I looked a bit closer and the brake discs were shagged as well, and that ain't smart on a vehicle putting down 250bhp in the middle of winter..... (An annual MOT really wouldn't go amiss on some of the older performance cars zooming around the IOM's roads......)

Please note I'm not speculating/commenting on this particular tragic accident and what may or may not have happened, we'll just have to wait for the facts to come through via the news channels.

How do you define 'stupidly fast'? Scoobies are a very quick car, no two ways about it, and the turbo kick on them can be a bit mental, but there's nothing inherently dangerous about them, same as any performance vehicle, it's down to the driver understanding how it works, and what it can and can't do.

Sure, and a gun aint dangerous unless someone shoots you with it, but a scooby has far more potential to be dangerous in any hands than a 1.1 fiesta.

Can we take this discussion to the other thread.

it was very icy yesterday morning in Onchan.

I managed to slide my car on the coast road which runs alongside the MER tracks just past Howstrake (holiday camp) near the Groudle turning. I was only doing about 20 mph so it wasn't a big issue. Slightly faster and I might very well have ended up sliding across the road into the path of a vehicle coming the other way.

The road did not seem to have been gritted.

Hmmm very sad. Those Subaru cars seem to be a bit dangerous, my mates mate had one (he is also dead now) do they 'drive' differently from normal cars?

there must be a huge difference in build quality between the real rally version and the road offering. the rally version allows people to walk out of it at crashes nearing 3 figures, the road one seems to not offer this security at 30????

That's probably because the ones used for the rally have a roll bar fitted. Plus your have a harness and a helmet

There are virtually no comparisons that can be made between a Standard Factory roadcar, and its WRC counterpart. The shells are taken from the factory and completely rebuilt around a spaceframe of steelwork, stressed areas are plated and the shell is fully seam welded.

Without the correct additonal safety measures (harnesses, correct seats, helmets, neck protectors) the impact of a WRC car upon hitting a wall would scramble you, as such the factory roadcars are designed to 'crumple' to absorb that kinetic energy instead of passing it onto the occupants.

There are virtually no comparisons that can be made between a Standard Factory roadcar, and its WRC counterpart. The shells are taken from the factory and completely rebuilt around a spaceframe of steelwork, stressed areas are plated and the shell is fully seam welded.

Without the correct additonal safety measures (harnesses, correct seats, helmets, neck protectors) the impact of a WRC car upon hitting a wall would scramble you, as such the factory roadcars are designed to 'crumple' to absorb that kinetic energy instead of passing it onto the occupants.

ok, i was trying to say, in a round about way, that in a car of that design with seatbelts on, you'd have to be VERY unlucky

to suffer fatal injuries at a 30MPH impact. you'd also have to be a very restrained and disciplined driver on empty roads in

the early hours to be doing 30MPH, especially on what is basically a straight road?? i've left gaps between the lines to make

reading between them easier.

ok, i was trying to say, in a round about way, that in a car of that design with seatbelts on, you'd have to be VERY unlucky to suffer fatal injuries at a 30MPH impact.

I was also wondering how the driver came to be killed in a Subaru of all cars. It'll be interesting to see what info the police release - seat belts, air bags etc.

If winters deteriorate then maybe winter tyres will be made mandatory from (say) Dec 1st to March 31st?

LIVING UP TO YOUR NAME ON THIS THREAD THEN BOB.. caps sorry.

insurance companies should price this type of vehicle off the road to the under 40s ..

As a matter of interest why over 40s? Would this be an age when people suddenly get better at driving or something? Its not age that makes people a good driver, albeit knowledge and experience is important, but I know plenty of p*ss poor drivers over 40 (& under it too!)

I also think that that little used word nowadays - responsibility - also accounts for a lot of driving standards too. As I was always told when learning to drive, you have just as much power in a car to take a life as a gun does....

Archived