Road Closed In Onchan

The Thriller

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see there is a Facebook page for the girl killed in the accident, and although I didn't know her there are plenty of people on the forums did. As we don't know what happened in the accident, could we not speculate about it please. There is a new topic about performance cars here so maybe use that thread if you want to discuss cars and driving.

it was very icy yesterday morning in Onchan.

I managed to slide my car on the coast road which runs alongside the MER tracks just past Howstrake (holiday camp) near the Groudle turning. I was only doing about 20 mph so it wasn't a big issue. Slightly faster and I might very well have ended up sliding across the road into the path of a vehicle coming the other way.

The road did not seem to have been gritted.

I went that way into Douglas that morning. It is a "minor" road, and therefore very rarely gets gritted. There are some parts that always get slippy if there's a bit of frost - from the Groudle bridge to Howstrake is the worst section. I detected a tiny bit of movement by the hotel, and further along, on the open part just below Howstrake it was lethal for anyone who hasn't driven on ice before. Just a bit of care required. Some tyre marks showed that there had been a bit of skidding in the area.

Had a similar problem in Glen Helen early on Saturday morning about 4:45am. No sign of ice at all, temperature gauge on the car showing 3.5 degrees then the car went into a skid. Fortunately I was only doing about 30mph and got it under control without any problems, kept the speed down to under 20mph after that, much to the annoyance of the asshole in the silver focus sat on my back bumper.

Just shows that the in-car thermometer which shows outside air temp isn't a reliable indicator of the road surface condition.

The temperature gauge on your vehicle indicates AIR temperature. The GROUND temp is invariably several degrees lower.

So, if the gauge on your dash shows less than say 4degrees, the ground could well be below freezing, with the possibility of frost and/or black ice.

Bit slow off the mark there, Keyboarder I was corrected within a few minutes.

Slow indeed. However, I am indicating the probable presence of an integral suspension component, not, as I understand it, the ironmongery inside the cabin, the purpose of which is to increase the structural integrity of the roof, to which When Skies Are Grey was referring.

Archived