Road Closed In Onchan

The Thriller

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems from the news yet another life lost due to sensless acts, over the limit and not wearing a seat belt, when will people ever learn that either one of these is stupidity but both, well what can be said.

Looks like it might be one of those 'morning after' over the limits, that's so easy to do unless you're careful.

To be honest, I don't actually know how much the blood alcohol thing works - how much does it take to get to the 80 and how much over would it be for the 113?

If I'm driving, I don't drink at all, and I don't drive the morning after I've been out, but perhaps with all the drink driving campaigns they could do with informing people a bit more about the limits and the time it takes for your body to process the alcohol.

Ans, I'm not excusing it, but I think it's easily done. It's not something that's completely clear and easy to understand. I'd prefer lower limits to make it clearer that you really can't drink anything and drive.

To be honest, I don't actually know how much the blood alcohol thing works - how much does it take to get to the 80 and how much over would it be for the 113?

It does differ depending on your body size and metabolism, but as a general guide, 80mg in your blood would be about 3 units of alcohol, or one large glass of wine.

113 about half a regular glass on top of that.

Don't drive until 12 hours have passed since your last drink.

Which part are you struggling with?

I don't see any reference to '12 hours' in any literature or laws. You've got to make the judgement based on something you can't measure, I don't think that's always easy.

Agree that it's better to be safe than sorry, and I don't drive the day after until the afternoon (and usually a long hike back to the car). I think it's an easy mistake to make though.

so there you have it, booze and no seat belt, the tried and tested old method of safe driving, NOT.fancy blaming the icy conditions? what was the speed?? i didn't see it mentioned, but to hit the kerb on the right, then end up on the left with enough momentum to knock down a few feet of a wall would suggest more than 30???

I realise everybody is being 'nice' because she was a young attractive and a well liked woman. But I wonder how the reactions and comments would change if it had been an ugly old soak who mowed down an early morning teenage jogger?

Stay out of your car if you want to drink.

Why make it a judgement call though? Seriously, you'd have to have had dangerous levels of alcohol in your system for it not to have been purged after 12 hours. I can't make the judgement whether I can drive after 6 if I only had 4 pints, you're right, so I don't even try. I leave it 12 hours regardless of how much I've drunk. No judgement required.

It is different for everybody but I watched about a month ago aprogramme on ITV presented by Gethin Jones which looked at drink driving and I was staggered at how much many were drinking whilst still being below the limit or only just over.

OK it was typical ITV and not most the rigerous bit of journalism but they were in a "pub", people drank normally and they were tested every hour to see if they were within the safe driving limits. Gethin Jones went on a test road and every pay had another drink and was tested. It was the police who did the testing

Now I thought that after a couple of drinks most or a fair few would fail so the message was sent out that it not safe to drink and drive as it realy is easy to go over the limit. However that was not the case and the majority did not fail the breatherlyser even after numerous drinks so the message was almost do not worry about drinking and driving as there is a fair chance that even if you have had a fair amount to drink which will badly impair you driving there is a fair chance you will be legal to drive!

It does differ depending on your body size and metabolism, but as a general guide, 80mg in your blood would be about 3 units of alcohol, or one large glass of wine.

113 about half a regular glass on top of that.

Why make it a judgement call though? Seriously, you'd have to have had dangerous levels of alcohol in your system for it not to have been purged after 12 hours. I can't make the judgement whether I can drive after 6 if I only had 4 pints, you're right, so I don't even try. I leave it 12 hours regardless of how much I've drunk. No judgement required.

Because the law, as it stands, leads to judgment calls. I'd rather it was clear, that it says 'you cannot drive within 12 hours of your last drink' or something to that effect. Currently you have to make a call, and that's where, in my view, misunderstandings happen.

We used to have road saftey lectures/training alot. The common theme was that no 2 people are the same so if it takes me 8 hours to get rid of a nights drink from my system then it might take someone else 4 or 15 hours.

They seemed to stick to the guideline that a unit of alcohol took 8 hours in the average person but if you add more alcohol over a short period then the 8 hours will become longer so 12 hours would make sense as a good marker. I have seen someone fail a test 22 hours after having his last drink so just sticking to a time line is not a good idea. Common sense and not being selfish wins the day.

Archived