Road Closed In Onchan

The Thriller

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

better still, why not invest in a breathalyzer so that you can test yourself before getting behind the wheel? Then the guesswork is taken away. They are pretty cheap nowadays - I got one online for about £15 not so long ago and think that it is a worthwhile thing to have for my own piece of mind.

I think that it should be compulsory for drivers to have one.

Fair enough if you are concerned that the effect of the night before are still swilling around your body even though you feel fine.

But a fair % I would guess are used by people straight after a few pints in the pub who might normally drive after a few pints but will do as a machine says it is safe! Sorry but I do not want it to be used on such a basis.

better still, why not invest in a breathalyzer so that you can test yourself before getting behind the wheel? Then the guesswork is taken away. They are pretty cheap nowadays - I got one online for about £15 not so long ago and think that it is a worthwhile thing to have for my own piece of mind.

Fair enough if you are concerned that the effect of the night before are still swilling around your body even though you feel fine.

But a fair % I would guess are used by people straight after a few pints in the pub who might normally drive after a few pints but will do as a machine says it is safe! Sorry but I do not want it to be used on such a basis.

I only use it for mornings after the night before and it is really useful.

If people are stupid enough to drive straight after a few in the pub then it obviously won't help.

I heard one of the road traffic cops on the radio around Xmas time saying that 'home breathalyzer' kits were virtually useless because setting up the real thing is much more complicated and the variation between the two can be enormous.

Without relating to this specific thread: there are some people who will always be willing to take a chance after a few drinks or far too many drinks the previous night. This will happen regardless of the alcohol level determined by law.

There have to some areas of our lives where were allowed to be considered intelligent enough to make our own decisions and, as per previous posts, anyone who doesn't have the nous to leave a sensible period before getting behind the wheel should be prosecuted and banned from driving.

I think home beath testers are a terrible idea... like people need anymore excuses to why they drove home... "Ohh I thought I was alright.. I blow into this home tester and it said I was fine"...

Before we start talking about how irresponsible sports cars are I think people need to get a grip on how basic it is to work out if your sober enough or not to drive... it's not difficult or unclear.. we're talking about gambling at the highest cost for you and others... there really is no excuse for drink driving in my opinion.

I've seen nothing that proves her being over the limit was to blame for the accident - she wasn't that much over after all. Gives the petrol heads a handy scapegoat though.

It may not have caused the accident but wearing a seat belt may have saved her but to add to that had she not been over the limit would her judgement and reactions been better once she lost control.

so there you have it, booze and no seat belt, the tried and tested old method of safe driving, NOT.fancy blaming the icy conditions? what was the speed?? i didn't see it mentioned, but to hit the kerb on the right, then end up on the left with enough momentum to knock down a few feet of a wall would suggest more than 30???

So we can now add a 3rd part to it drunk, not wearing a seat belt and speeding well over the clearly signed limit for the road, the question is would she have driven that dangerously on an icy road had she been sober.

I thought that 'THIS' thread had been started to avoid all the speculation and unnecessary comments.

Perhaps start yet another thread about breathalysers / drink drivers / speeding / car power restrictions or why not just dig up one of the other ones and revive it. This thread doesn't need to turn into a debate about these issues when there are already plenty of threads already out there and are even more suitably titled.

Strangely there has just been something on fifth gear showing how wildly inaccurate these things can be.

I wouldn't rely on them if I were you

Don't drive until 12 hours have passed since your last drink.

Which part are you struggling with?

I don't see any reference to '12 hours' in any literature or laws. You've got to make the judgement based on something you can't measure, I don't think that's always easy.

Agree that it's better to be safe than sorry, and I don't drive the day after until the afternoon (and usually a long hike back to the car). I think it's an easy mistake to make though.

Just after wheels were invented and I learned to drive, a local bobby told me if unsure always allow 8 hours between bottle and throttle. Personally, if I've had a shandy or two, I don't drive for at least 12 hours, by which time its usually bed time again!

Ive no idea if this is correct, but I recall reading on a site directly related to drink that it takes the body approx one hour to process each unit of alcohol, so even a fairly modest 6 pints is still going to take 12 hours or so at best, never mind actually getting drunk as it were. If that's correct at least.

Ive no idea if this is correct, but I recall reading on a site directly related to drink that it takes the body approx one hour to process each unit of alcohol, so even a fairly modest 6 pints is still going to take 12 hours or so at best, never mind actually getting drunk as it were. If that's correct at least.

One of the guys I work with got stopped for DD(this was back in 1995) - he was breathalized at 1.00 am and was a little over twice the limit.

The police wouldn't let him go until his reading was below the limit - it was just past 11.00 am that morning.

His last drink was about midnight he said...? (I think he was telling the truth about this)

Archived