Road Closed In Onchan

The Thriller

OK I apologise and will not post again, but I had a friend killed by a drunk driver so I admit I have a prejudicial view. It therefore annoys me intensly when I see people almost trying to dismiss the fact that the unfortunate individual was over the limit was inconsequential.

OK maybe I should just let it lie and not respond but on ocacsion it begins to irriate and it is cathartic to get it out. I agree the best is that it was not mentioned at all and I will not again. But equally will others posters not try and defend the facts of the situation mty saying we do not know if t had anything to do with the accident.

This isn't the first time something tragic has turned into a points-scoring comp for various Forumites.

The whole affair is sad...end of.

Can't see the need for moral high ground from anyone...

...GOMH*...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a personal hatred for those Subaru's as a friend of mine was killed a few years back in one of them coming into Mills. Theyre just stupidly overpowered, and as people have said, even in an experienced drivers hands, something that powerful, insurance companies expect them to crash, and they regularly deliver on that.

If you regularly drive on the mountain road (as I do), you can guarantee at least once a week youll be passed by one of those travelling at ludicrous speed (See Spaceballs for a guide to just how ridiculously fast that is).

My condolences to the family. Nobody should have to lose someone that young to an RTA, or any kind of misfortune.

I have a personal hatred for those Subaru's as a friend of mine was killed a few years back in one of them coming into Mills. Theyre just stupidly overpowered, and as people have said, even in an experienced drivers hands, something that powerful, insurance companies expect them to crash, and they regularly deliver on that.

If you regularly drive on the mountain road (as I do), you can guarantee at least once a week youll be passed by one of those travelling at ludicrous speed (See Spaceballs for a guide to just how ridiculously fast that is).

My condolences to the family. Nobody should have to lose someone that young to an RTA, or any kind of misfortune.

Em, was it not an Evo?

What pees me off in situations like this is people who appear to want to act as moral Guardians wherby it is fine to say what you like or conjecture as much as you like in favour of a deceased if you dare utter anything even a tiny bit critical then it is deemed by some to be morally wrong.

... it appears that it is basically now Taboo to not treat anybody whose has died to anything but absolute Saint hood .

Wholeheartedly agree. In general people are far too sensitive about death and the dead. Seems to be a vestige of our God-fearing past.

Get over it. We've all got to go one day and we should be subject to praise and criticism in death as in life. The criticism or praise may be no good to us, but it may be important for others to learn from our example.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

What pees me off in situations like this is people who appear to want to act as moral Guardians wherby it is fine to say what you like or conjecture as much as you like in favour of a deceased if you dare utter anything even a tiny bit critical then it is deemed by some to be morally wrong.

... it appears that it is basically now Taboo to not treat anybody whose has died to anything but absolute Saint hood .

Wholeheartedly agree. In general people are far too sensitive about death and the dead. Seems to be a vestige of our God-fearing past.

Get over it. We've all got to go one day and we should be subject to praise and criticism in death as in life. The criticism or praise may be no good to us, but it may be important for others to learn from our example.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I disagree. In the immediate aftermath of a death, it is kind to allow families and friends some space to grieve.

S

I disagree. In the immediate aftermath of a death, it is kind to allow families and friends some space to grieve.

For sure, I would agree there are rules of etiquette when dealing on a personal basis with a bereaved person in the immediate aftermath of the death of a loved one, and that is entirely appropriate - as you say, 'kind'. I would expect the same etiquette to be applied to online books of condolence or other dedicated online memorials established by the deceased's family or friends.

However, I don't think that it is appropriate to extend those same formalities to general web fora (is that the plural of forum?), where there is a reasonable expectation of robust debate. Like it or not: death in such circumstances is news, and it is unrealistic to expect that news should not be the subject of critical comment.

For sure, I would agree there are rules of etiquette when dealing on a personal basis with a bereaved person in the immediate aftermath of the death of a loved one, and that is entirely appropriate - as you say, 'kind'. I would expect the same etiquette to be applied to online books of condolence or other dedicated online memorials established by the deceased's family or friends.

However, I don't think that it is appropriate to extend those same formalities to general web fora (is that the plural of forum?), where there is a reasonable expectation of robust debate. Like it or not: death in such circumstances is news, and its unrealistic to expect that news should not be the subject of critical comment.

Hmm. There have been two earlier occasions recently when comments were made on this forum concerning accidents - one fatal. In the non-fatal one I commented that the road where the accident occurred was no place for a pedestrian on a wet and windy night. On reflection, I regretted making the remark, though I don't think my assessment was wrong; it just wasn't the right time. Fortunately the victim is on the mend.

The other thread would appear to have been removed, and quite right, too.

If I comment on similar threads in future, it will only be to offer condolences.

S

If it's inappropriate to say something in a pub where a relative or friend of the deceased could overhear you, then I reckon it's just as inapropriate to say it on a public web forum where a friend or relative might see it. Why should a person's values and empathy for other people change just because they're posting anonymously on a forum?

Why make it a judgement call though? Seriously, you'd have to have had dangerous levels of alcohol in your system for it not to have been purged after 12 hours. I can't make the judgement whether I can drive after 6 if I only had 4 pints, you're right, so I don't even try. I leave it 12 hours regardless of how much I've drunk. No judgement required.

So....every person who has a glass of wine or two, or a few beers after work has to ensure they don't continue beyond 8pm, at the very latest?! To ensure their sobriety the next morning. From Sunday to Thursday. Every week. Forever.

Work takes up enough of my time frankly. My evenings are mine.

Piss orf with your black & white world.

Work takes up enough of my time frankly. My evenings are mine.

Do what you like in the evening, just make sure you're sober before you get behind the wheel the next day. What's wrong with that?

Em, was it not an Evo?

Apologies , im not a petrolhead , one overpowered Torpedo on the Islands Roads looks the same as the other to me.

Ironic actually , As thinking back , that was the chant we used whenever Dave was playing footie, and I always assumed it related to him playing too much Pro Evo on the playstation (had a habit of dribbling past the entire team before launching a shot 30 feet over the bar). I guess those closer to him could confirm that.

Archived