Tt & Mgp 700k Over Budget!

Max Power

I could be cynical and say that once the ACU got involved, that it was bound to happen!

I now hear the the Government are underwriting North One's costs for filming the event this year? Something that Greenlight did for themselves and likewise the MGP and Souther 100 which were not filmed in 2008!

Having said that 30,000 people spending a very conservative average of £600 visiting the TT puts £18,000,000 into circulation on the Island. So I suppose it's not all bad news!

Surely we pay a professional sponsorship agency from England a big fee and a percentage of earnings as commission in order to ensure the TT is a profit centre for the Island? Would it be rude of me to ask if they have delivered an increase over and above what they are paid, or if this was just another clever way of sending taxpayers' money to an off-island company which didn't deserve it in the first place and hasn't earned it since?

I don't understand this at all.

It all seemed to change with the suddenly high profile proliferation of Department of Tourism Government employees, including the then Chief Exec. making their presence known about the place, and the introduction of various licence fees, sponsorship and for example the introduction of a Grandstand charge at the practices. The TT needed to change we were told and it had to keep up with the way of the world and be run on a commercial basis which included all the advertising and razzmatazz.

Quite frankly, I do not think that the people given the job to run the TT and MGP were/are up to the job.

Quite frankly I think they were led by a woman seduced by talk of Formula One and big money. Some of them could see a big boost to their careers and eagerly supported her. What they've ended up with is Formula One budget spend and TT income. Which, as Mr Micawber will tell you, equals a whole big bunch of not good at all. Luckily the same people who wanted to change the TT and drag it into the future have also now appointed the company that didn't use to do the Formula One coverage on ITV (just the talking heads bit) and they will now spend lots of time effort and money (YOUR money, gentle taxpayer) on "revolutionising" TV coverage, which will make lots more money for the Government than they were getting before from a local firm.

Since this level of income will remain a "commercially sensitive" piece of information, you'll never know if this prediction comes true or whether it goes the same way as the rest of them and just adds to the already substantial losses.

Allow me to predict that they'll all claim that world economic conditions are at the root of all their failure to perform this year. And probably next year as well.

Our biggest problem is that the TT is not like any other motorsport event. It relies on the sympathy and goodwill of the Manx people for its continuation, never mind success, and you can't treat them or the event in the same way as Bernie treats Formula One and the paddock population, the circuits and the spectators, as just so much cannon-fodder.

The TT has survived for a hundred years because it IS what it is. Rushing blindly in to drag it into a new future based on a business model copied from circuit racing that simply cannot be applied to a whole Island is doomed, as any fule kno.

Edited cos I can't spellproperly this early

The TT has survived for a hundred years because it IS what it is. Rushing blindly in to drag it into a new future based on a business model copied from circuit racing that simply cannot be applied to a whole Island is doomed, as any fule kno.

Hmm, that sumes it up quite well.

The TT Government Employees told us that the TT had to catch up with the way of the world. We didn't all believe them, but the Government fools did, the typical "We've employed them so they must be right".

The TT all of a sudden saw people, who knew little about what actually makes the TT run, all of a sudden in charge of the event.

If it ain't broke don't fix it sounds glib but it certainly rings true now.

Quite frankly I think they were led by a woman seduced by talk of Formula One and big money. Some of them could see a big boost to their careers and eagerly supported her. What they've ended up with is Formula One budget spend and TT income. Which, as Mr Micawber will tell you, equals a whole big bunch of not good at all. Luckily the same people who wanted to change the TT and drag it into the future have also now appointed the company that didn't use to do the Formula One coverage on ITV (just the talking heads bit) and they will now spend lots of time effort and money (YOUR money, gentle taxpayer) on "revolutionising" TV coverage, which will make lots more money for the Government than they were getting before from a local firm.

Since this level of income will remain a "commercially sensitive" piece of information, you'll never know if this prediction comes true or whether it goes the same way as the rest of them and just adds to the already substantial losses.

Allow me to predict that they'll all claim that world economic conditions are at the root of all their failure to perform this year. And probably next year as well.

Our biggest problem is that the TT is not like any other motorsport event. It relies on the sympathy and goodwill of the Manx people for its continuation, never mind success, and you can't treat them or the event in the same way as Bernie treats Formula One and the paddock population, the circuits and the spectators, as just so much cannon-fodder.

Edited cos I can't spellproperly this early

I couldn't have put it better myself.

The TT still contributes a huge amount to the economy and life on the Island, but it is definately losing it's way. Mundane classes and quasi BSB atmosphere, promoting newcomers and 'young guns' and putting them under extreme pressure to perform before they have the experience on bikes capable of 200mph!!

Close racing is just as exciting on bikes capable of 140mph.

The Manx Grand Prix on the other hand, now that the MMCC can run it relatively free of the interference of the DTL, seems to be turning into much more interesting event. They are doing it with very little support from a supposed motorsport development team who seem to think that anything that happened before 1988 is irrellevant in the history of these great events! The fact is, it's greatest days had long passed by then! Their history is what makes them great!!

Archived