Editor Blog Bad Timing?

oogie boogie

car crash blog

The editor from iomonline has added a new blog. Where, I can see what his good intentions are trying to highlight the issue that private condolence amongst friends and family are now out in the public domain and can be used by any journo or press scavanger looking to get their story first. I really don't think he's put it in quite right way. Maybe leaving a week or so might've been a good idea too.

What do you all think?

car crash blog

The editor from iomonline has added a new blog. Where, I can see what his good intentions are trying to highlight the issue that private condolence amongst friends and family are now out in the public domain and can be used by any journo or press scavanger looking to get their story first. I really don't think he's put it in quite right way. Maybe leaving a week or so might've been a good idea too.

What do you all think?

Totally agree. I read it and am amazed it hasn't created an instant stink. An extremely badly judged piece, especially from an editor. It is effectively hijacking an extremely 'fresh' local tragedy to make an obvious point about 21st Century journalism and guff on about how Isle of Man Newspapers BRING YOU THE NEWS.

Shaming.

Terrible.

IOM Newspapers really know how to put there foot in it. Richard Butt couldnt have choosen a worse time to print his thoughts.

At best he sounds like a man struggling to come to terms with the fact he didnt get to 'break the news first'.

I havent read the comments on-line, but im sure they were left by shocked family and friends not knowing what the best thing to do is. They didnt do it to make money, gain profit or SELL NEWSPAPERS!!!!!

Personally i've never rated manx journalism that highly, and this has done nothing to improve my view.

Oddly I think Mr Butt has raised valid subject about the position the newspaper finds itself in modern day media and communication. However the timing of this blog is shocking, its neither cutting edge nor fresh, just plain insensitive.

car crash blog

What do you all think?

Read like sour grapes to me, and not very well timed. I wonder if this has anything to do with the page being removed from facebook yesterday.

Don't have a problem with it, would anyone have objected if it had been posted here instead?

It's no joke Albert, Dick Butt it is indeed and it made me lol.

His situation as a member of staff for the newspapers makes it different than if someone had posted it on here. It's not our job to report news so the tone of the piece would've come across differently.

As mentioned before, apart from some of the wording, the idea behind the article is something that is quite interesting, but maybe it shouldn've been left a while. Atleast bury the poor girl first before using her as an example of the problems journalism faces against modern technology.

I've gone back and re-read the blog. I still don't see anything that ought to cause any concern.

I also noticed this bit:

In fact, since Frankie's friends and family wanted to share their tributes, we have repeated some in today's Examiner and on iomtoday.co.im

I think they give our readers an appreciation of what sort of woman she was and how much she'll be missed.

If a reader hasn't got Facebook, they might still be interested to see tributes. After all, isn't the reason for making the tributes for other people to read?

I also found this quite a strange comment:

Dear Editor Following the death of Francesca Szaniszlo, I read with interest your article dated 26th January 2009 entitled "Breaking tragic news in the digital age". Many people, family and friends alike are mourning the death of this fantastic young lady. To read such an article posted by you, in my opinion, is extremely insensitive. After reading your article, I am left feeling that you are unhappy that you have been unable to report the news before other loving friends and family members reported it, through whichever means they have chosen to. I appreciate we all have a job to do, and we all strive to do this the the best of our ability, but what I would like to know is .... Is there just a hint of jealousy or anger in there somewhere, that other people have "Beaten you to the post" with breaking news??? I feel that you could have left this to a later date before posting your views, but preferrably not posted anything at all. So many people have such personal pain at the moment, yet your article reads of frustration, from not having personal gain!! I think your efforts are nothing short of disgusting and insensitive. You should feel ashamed. Let us all grive on our loss. In disgust

A LOVING FRIEND TO FRANKIE

People appear to be more concerned with the the fact that they believe that the local paper got pipped at the post with being able to report such tragic news. Forget who got there first and reflect more on what the news was about.

This isn't the way this young woman should be remembered.

The timing of the blog is simply all wrong. The paper had done its job of reporting the inncident, the points Mr Butt was raising could have waited till atlate date to discuss. Let the family and friends grive before starting a debate on whats ethical journalism.

I see nothing wrong with what has been written or the timing.

I apreciate that some will, especially those that knew the deceased, but generally I often feel as a society we are over sensitive and at times anything but utter reverence for a deceased individual is frowned upon and woe betide any individual who might suggest the deceased has any flaws in their character etc.

I am not suggesting not showing respect to a deceased individual or their family and friends, but at the same time there is a difference between respect and utter reference to any deceased individual. Where that line lies is difficult to say as familes & friends will have a different view to third parties as witnessed in the debate with regard to the Darwin awards when it seemed acceptable to discuss as long as they were not a Manx Resident but not if they were.

Archived