Editor Blog Bad Timing?

oogie boogie

I've gone back and re-read the blog. I still don't see anything that ought to cause any concern.

I also noticed this bit:

In fact, since Frankie's friends and family wanted to share their tributes, we have repeated some in today's Examiner and on iomtoday.co.im

I think they give our readers an appreciation of what sort of woman she was and how much she'll be missed.

If a reader hasn't got Facebook, they might still be interested to see tributes. After all, isn't the reason for making the tributes for other people to read?

I also found this quite a strange comment:

Dear Editor Following the death of Francesca Szaniszlo, I read with interest your article dated 26th January 2009 entitled "Breaking tragic news in the digital age". Many people, family and friends alike are mourning the death of this fantastic young lady. To read such an article posted by you, in my opinion, is extremely insensitive. After reading your article, I am left feeling that you are unhappy that you have been unable to report the news before other loving friends and family members reported it, through whichever means they have chosen to. I appreciate we all have a job to do, and we all strive to do this the the best of our ability, but what I would like to know is .... Is there just a hint of jealousy or anger in there somewhere, that other people have "Beaten you to the post" with breaking news??? I feel that you could have left this to a later date before posting your views, but preferrably not posted anything at all. So many people have such personal pain at the moment, yet your article reads of frustration, from not having personal gain!! I think your efforts are nothing short of disgusting and insensitive. You should feel ashamed. Let us all grive on our loss. In disgust

A LOVING FRIEND TO FRANKIE

People appear to be more concerned with the the fact that they believe that the local paper got pipped at the post with being able to report such tragic news. Forget who got there first and reflect more on what the news was about.

This isn't the way this young woman should be remembered.

Having read the article, in all honesty I found it to be about a valid issue, the timing maybe was a little off, but it was most certainly not offensive or disgusting etc at all.

I'm struggling to see what he's said that is wrong. Could someone explain it to me. The only thing I can think is that people's emotions are heighten at times of loss and perceive slights to the departed where none exists. I suppose as an experienced journalist Richard might have been expected to anticipate the reaction.

I think it raises an extremely valid point. There are a lot of people out there who don't know what "publishing" means on the internet, and there were a few on here on that thread who were dropping hints and were champing at the bit to say what they knew. Won't do them any harm to be reminded about this.

I'm pretty baffled by the knee-jerk reactions in this thread. He's highlighted an interesting point as something to think about, i.e. when exactly does information become 'public'? When is it 'OK' to publish? - he hasn't said it was a bad thing to publish it on facebook.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong in doing so. In fact, I'm sure it does a lot of good.

Quite a few people have used the term "sour grapes". I'm guessing they are saying he is moaning that he couldn't publish the info that facebook had as quickly as that site. Personally, I don't read that in the blog at all. And if you think about it there wasn't a paper released between the accident and the release of the deceased's name and photo.

Its a very interesting piece actually.

Alarming, people would place a condolence pagein facebook ASAP like that, y'ou'd think they would have respet and mourn a day or two. Those who should know first should be left to be told by the police and parents. The way the F/book page was erected so quick feels like the typical `look, im the first to break the bad news' syndrome

Not nice.

Archived