Pag - Chief Ministers Question Time

%age

The Positive Action Group held a Chief Ministers Question Time last night at the Manx Legion Club, as reported on Manx Radio's Mandate this morning.

It seemed to go well and was quite a jolly affair.

One of the questions was querying when the Freedom of Information Act will be law and also the matter of Tynwald Members Interests was raised.

Tony replied in terms that the Freedom of Information Act is on its why, sort of thing, and "nothing is a complete science". So who knows?

Tony also said that we don't have to worry about Members Interests because Tynwald deals with that sort of thing and so no need put that into law.

I'm not too sure about that.

His answer was a little bit more comprehensive than that, he added that members already have to disclose any interests upon becoming an MHK, he also mentioned that people standing for MHK should also declare their interests (if any).

I found the PAG to hold exceptional meetings, last nights was no exception.

Tony Brown came across well, his answers where clear and to the point.

His answer was a little bit more comprehensive than that, he added that members already have to disclose any interests upon becoming an MHK, he also mentioned that people standing for MHK should also declare their interests (if any).

I found the PAG to hold exceptional meetings, last nights was no exception.

Tony Brown came across well, his answers where clear and to the point.

It was a good enough meeting. Tony Brown is a well practiced and experienced politician.

It's just that there were calls for members interests to be declared as law rather than if they just felt like it or when they could be bothered to get round to it. There has been a recent case of an MHK not declaring his interests because he forgot. If it is not important, don't bother at all and do away with the damn register, but please don't have such a register as a token gesture of 'government transparency'.

Perhaps the register of interests should be extended to the judiciary, but there again, we can't have that can we . . . .

Tony Brown showed massive support to the Civil Service. There were a few concerns expressed about the size of the pensions and in particular with them being based on final salaries as opposed to how much has been contributed in, which in any case is a very small percent for what is taken out compared to the private sector.

The Chief Minister related his own experiences of when he worked directly for government. "You couldn't just take a half hour off you know, and if you did then your pay would be docked". He is obviously very much out of touch with today's flexi-this and flexi-that, if-you-feel-like-it, government employees. Strand Street shops would be out of business if it weren't for the steady supply of Civil Servants spending their wedge throughout the day.

The reciprocal health care agreement was very much to the fore. One ex-serviceman made the very valid point that the Isle of Man was conscripted during the war and did a valiant job. Many men were killed. Since the war many Manxmen joined up.

Those men, many now retired, will find it difficult if not impossible to find insurance if they wish to visit family in UK.

This point extends to the general public of course, but the serviceman's position makes the whole affair quite poignant.

Jersey and Guernsey Tax Havens were not conscripted during the war.

So yeah, a good PAG meeting and well done to them for holding it. I can't deny the Chief Minister spoke well and hopefully there will be the same again sometime.

I am a bit more cynical about the exercise. How gracious of him to face questions from the general public, when he and a small band control most of what is going on and most other MHKs (the majority) don't have the guts or backing to challenge. Roll on party politics when he will be challenged properly, and if not up to it, more chance of being voted off.

PAG is just a talking shop - we had debating groups like that at school and they don't change the world no matter how gracefully you make your arguments. When was the last time you saw BBC question time change the UK? If he doesn't already understand the extent of what e.g. the health opt-out means to people, how can you say 'how marvellous' he is listening? Jebus, he should know that and should have said what he is doing and done about it so far.

They do say you can always tell the quality of a leader by the quality of the people that surround him. Wise up.

I am a bit more cynical about the exercise. How gracious of him to face questions from the general public, when he and a small band control most of what is going on and most other MHKs (the majority) don't have the guts or backing to challenge. Roll on party politics when he will be challenged properly, and if not up to it, more chance of being voted off.

PAG is just a talking shop - we had debating groups like that at school and they don't change the world no matter how gracefully you make your arguments. When was the last time you saw BBC question time change the UK? If he doesn't already understand the extent of what e.g. the health opt-out means to people, how can you say 'how marvellous' he is listening? Jebus, he should know that and should have said what he is doing and done about it so far.

They do say you can always tell the quality of a leader by the quality of the people that surround him. Wise up.

PAG books a venue and arranges debates sometimes with speakers from UK. It gives people an opportunity to go along and get involved in what is going on politically on the island.

It's an improvement on what was happening until a couple of years ago ie mass apathy.

How did TB reply to the questions about the reciprocal health agreement.

Is the IOM going to pay up? or will everyone need to take out extra insurance?

I can't remember exactly, but it sounded quite good what he was saying and he gave the occasional ernest smile and a gentle nod of the head and so then I have every, every confidence in TB. He put everybody's mind at rest and so everything will be alright.

The government are aware of the matter and discussions are actually ongoing as we speak and that. We haven't got a date or anything if/when this will all take place. So I wouldn't really worry.

The reciprocal health care agreement was very much to the fore. One ex-serviceman made the very valid point that the Isle of Man was conscripted during the war and did a valiant job. Many men were killed. Since the war many Manxmen joined up.

Those men, many now retired, will find it difficult if not impossible to find insurance if they wish to visit family in UK.

This point extends to the general public of course, but the serviceman's position makes the whole affair quite poignant.

Jersey and Guernsey Tax Havens were not conscripted during the war.

I may have this wrong but i seem to remember there was no conscription in NI during the War, Channel Islands?, bit difficult enforcing the call up after 1940, prior--i reckon most conscription aged men had leggged it to Blighty.

Would they have been exempt there i wonder?

The government are aware of the matter and discussions are actually ongoing as we speak and that. We haven't got a date or anything if/when this will all take place. So I wouldn't really worry.

Maybe along the lines of...'Sorry about taking all the KSF money, and no you can't have it back'....'OK fair enough. Can I get back the health agreement so I can look better, pacify the prolls, and still get to keep the OBE'...'Well for half a billion...umm, er, ok then, as long as you keep mincing about Iceland'.

Aye, an interesting view!

Of course there is always a slight possibility that the reciprocal health agreement will remain unharmed. If this is the case, I would anticipate that it is down to the efforts and strong reasoned arguments of those outwith government. Although I know who will be quick to take the credit in the event the Island is successful in keeping the agreement.

I'm sure I've heard that reply to many other questions - possibly to most of them! Donald Gelling used to say that the government were 'keeping an eye on the situation' which actually means pretty much the same thing.

Archived