Recession Could Prove Hit Or Miss For Iom Tourism

Jimcalagon

IOM Today story

[Martin Quayle] said that the economic downturn meant that people would be less willing to go on short breaks in addition to their main holiday.

But he added: 'Being in a Sterling area could represent great opportunities.

'People will not want to travel outside Britain and it will make the Isle of Man more attractive for continental visitors.'

Translation - "We haven't got a f**king clue what will happen."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You must admit that the weak Pound is a consideration.

It now costs 28% more to go abroad to Europe for a fortnight of uninterrupted sunshine and clean beaches.

I appreciate that Europe is full of tanked-up people with bad tattoos screaming and swearing at each other whilst avoiding litter and dog sh*t.......................oh, hold on.

Are we actually seeing any indication of a 'benefit' from this yet? UK resorts and caravan sites etc. are already reporting bookings up. Any hoteliers/renters on here seeing any evidence of this yet i.e. additional early bookings?

Picking a random couple of dates in July for a return trip from the UK to the island with a car, 2 adults and 2 kids varies from £198 to £346 with the Steam Racket. The same dates to cross the channel with the same family is £94. Then there's accomodation on top, and the weather, and things to do to consider. Don't know if many people have noticed, but there isn't much to do here to keep kids entertained - but there are plenty of UK locations that have the facilities.

Who's kidding who here?

That said, there is a pefect opportunity for marketing people to get their acts together to get more £non and Euro visitors over for TT - that is a more realistic opportunity, target and product.

Picking a random couple of dates in July for a return trip from the UK to the island with a car, 2 adults and 2 kids varies from £198 to £346 with the Steam Racket. The same dates to cross the channel with the same family is £94. Then there's accomodation on top, and the weather, and things to do to consider. Don't know if many people have noticed, but there isn't much to do here to keep kids entertained - but there are plenty of UK locations that have the facilities.

Who's kidding who here?

That said, there is a pefect opportunity for marketing people to get their acts together to get more £non and Euro visitors over for TT - that is a more realistic opportunity, target and product.

Albert we have also discussed this issus in the thread about the departure of the Tourism & Leisure CEO.

Add to your comments about the fares - if you are a tourist from the eurozone (ie Ireland and the rest of Europe) the weakness of sterling represents a great opportunity to get better value for your money.

So what does the IOMSPC do? It shows its fares in euros at an exchange rate that wipes out the weakness of sterling (ie about 20% overcharging relative to the real exchange rate). Forget it!

The same company does not promote the IOM as an Irish Sea 'stopover' destination between UK and Ireland. We may have limted tourism activities but a 3 or 4 day stopver here would be terrific - plenty to see and do in tht time. And why don't they offer this? because the IOMSPC systems are unable to handle it - consequence is another lost marketing opportunity for additional UK, European and Irish visitors. Forget it!

They can't even be bothered to say that IF you contact them you can get the fare for the same rate as a return ticket. So you look at the fares. It shows the journeys you need to make for a stopover as two singles and it will cost you about 75% more than a return. Forget it!

And I contacted the DTL and asked them what interest they had in attracting eurozone tourists to the Island now that the euro represents much better value and got the reply that they were focusing on traditional markets in the UK. Forget it!

We spend £47 million at the airport and still don't have air links to any non British Isles destination (and only Dublin in Ireland). Forget it!

Conclusion - tourism is not important.

We tend to re-debate such things many times. New threads are common here, though perhaps if a few more people did a search before they posted 'new topics' - life would be simpler.

I posted the topic because I didn't feel it related to the original thread about that daft woman leaving the DTL - I was trying to make the point that basically Martin Quayle was making the following definitive statement - 'We might get more visitors - on the other hand, we might not'

If we were constrained to post anything Tourism-related in one thread then it would be a bloody big one. FFS If you don't like it, get a mod to merge it (or become a mod yourself).

It's actually old news, and was debated in the 'Sefton...more redundancies' thread a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't having a dig at you, just pointing out to manshimajin that re-debating issues happens a lot on here. Yeah searching helps, I try and do it sometimes, but as you say some other threads aren't always appropriate. It was just that two of remember having the debate before and don't always like having to repeat what we think are valid points to a debate if they are sat somewhere else already from a couple of weeks ago.

Like a chip bap?

Remember Fung in the chineese in victoria street? When you asked for a chip bap, he used to slide the hatch back and say something like 'NEVANDIO.........BAP'. There was always a pause, and he said the word 'bap' in a microsecond. It was almost 'bp'. Incredible.

I remember manxforums own Doooahdooo actually managed to steal a Nevandio...........Bp once by getting Fung chatting so he forgot to charge him. He's a bad man.

I stopped asking for chip baps from the chinese. It was the one in Castletown that had a go at me "We chinese, we make chinese food, we no make chip bap. You want chip bap, go to chippy, you want chinese, you come to chinese and not ask for chip bap!"

They then asked me if I wanted rice, WTF would I want a rice bap for?

just pointing out to manshimajin that re-debating issues happens a lot on here.

Yes. I it looks like we are all thinking the same - I don't mind things being repeated at all - I just realised I was about to repeat something that I had written before - but in an expanded form.

The main thing I feel from the multiple threads on tourism is that whatever tokenism the politicians offer to the unwashed:

Tourism is not important.

at least to them - much better a 'clean' corporate business sector such as financial services, or e-gambling or ship registration.

Archived