Recession Could Prove Hit Or Miss For Iom Tourism

Jimcalagon

I've often thought that a university or college, catering for a large number of students would be the answer to a lot of the Island's issues including tourism.

Students need accomodation, transport, food, entertainment and a whole host of services and amieneties which are also desirable for local people. Having them here increases the viability of all sorts of things whilst only increasing the population on a temporary basis. Out of term time the amieneties become available to tourists. Also the knock on benefit of family and nostalgia visits, not to mention the bank of graduates available to local business.

I would imagine that it would be quite attractive to parents in allowing their kids to come here as opposed to some of the city based establishments?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've often thought that a university or college, catering for a large number of students would be the answer to a lot of the Island's issues including tourism.

You mean exactly what the International Business School was supposed to be before they bolloxed it up?

Well yes, but on a much larger scale....not the balls up hopefully!

Students need accomodation, transport, food, entertainment and a whole host of services and amieneties which are also desirable for local people. Having them here increases the viability of all sorts of things whilst only increasing the population on a temporary basis. Out of term time the amieneties become available to tourists. Also the knock on benefit of family and nostalgia visits, not to mention the bank of graduates available to local business.

I would imagine that it would be quite attractive to parents in allowing their kids to come here as opposed to some of the city based establishments?

And IMO this would be an excellent course to run:

http://www.itsligo.ie/prospective_students...ecotourism.html

You mean exactly what the International Business School was supposed to be before they bolloxed it up?

Well yes, but on a much larger scale....not the balls up hopefully!

They could always use the old prison as a base (not the newer side where the females stayed).

Keep the toilets where they are and update the cells and make them into proper single room accommodation. Change the height of the windows, alter the door to accept two way in/out of the room etc.

This would assist those on low income pay to have somewhere to reside without being burdened with colossal bank fees (thats if they could get it) and be close to local amenities.

All we need is some type of minor celebrity to promote the place .....Mmmmm........I wonder :D

You could think loads of different uses for that place and I accept that my feeble attempt for the use of it (as described above) is pretty poor, but does anyone really know what they're going to do with it?

Me and my family enjoy holidaying in the IOM and often do so. This year to come over in the school holidays would cost £354.00 for us and the car. The ferry would be "packed" as we like to book self catering and it is nearly always Saturday to Saturday bookings only. Last year we booked a cabin both ways to give us some "space", which was great, but it's all extra cash.

Guess what?? We're going to Wales this year! Pity really.

Or the hotel school? Or the university of liverpool marine division?

Nice idea if you can attract people, but I'm not sure it's an easy sell.

Like a chip bap?

Remember Fung in the chineese in victoria street? When you asked for a chip bap, he used to slide the hatch back and say something like 'NEVANDIO.........BAP'. There was always a pause, and he said the word 'bap' in a microsecond. It was almost 'bp'. Incredible.

I remember manxforums own Doooahdooo actually managed to steal a Nevandio...........Bp once by getting Fung chatting so he forgot to charge him. He's a bad man.

I really don't remember that. Are you sure it was me?

Or the hotel school? Or the university of liverpool marine division?

Nice idea if you can attract people, but I'm not sure it's an easy sell.

Well, I suppose we could pay for another consultancy to do a feasibility study......

Seriously though, further education seems to be the thing, our college has grown dramatically over the years. I would think that an extension of that could be to offer degree courses to both on Island and off Island students? Things could grow rapidly from there?

I like the prison idea too!

I suppose the easy option, as always is to do bugger all!!

Seriously though, further education seems to be the thing, our college has grown dramatically over the years. I would think that an extension of that could be to offer degree courses to both on Island and off Island students? Things could grow rapidly from there?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, I just think the Island would struggle to attract enough to make it viable.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, I just think the Island would struggle to attract enough to make it viable.

You are right to consider that of course, I just wonder if we sometimes, as a remote community, tend to look inwards a little too much. It's understandable to do so because caution is the better part of valour. Having said that, if every time we want to think outside the box, we have to pay some expensive UK consultant to justify our plans then we never will move forward! All the cash for the project ends up in someone elses pocket!

These are good ideas for extra employment but do they provide extra tourism? The right tertiary facilities could certainly be a further income generating idea - most probably as a campus of an existing institution - Liverpool and Lancaster and possibly Manchester seem to be the most logical. How do you attract leading academic staff away from the UK mainstream?

When you mentioned the prison though - flash!!! Jurbanamo Bay - we tell Barrack we'll hold them here them if he stops listing us an offshore tax haven! Charge the US like a wounded bull for taking the problem off their hands. And we should get them to pay for the runway extensions for the re-rendition flights...

It sort of fits in with the old WW II alien detention centre too.

Personally I still think we need to focus on how to make tourism a thriving sector - but all other commercial ideas that boost our economy in recessionary times should be pursued by the Government.

Personally I still think we need to focus on how to make tourism a thriving sector - but all other commercial ideas that boost our economy in recessionary times should be pursued by the Government.

On the same principle as Carthago delenda est, I have to repeat that unless we can lower the cost of getting here, tourism is doomed.

In a year's time, MacQuarrie will be on its knees, and the Racket will most probably be losing money. Wonderful time for the Govt to buy it.

S

It sort of fits in with the old WW II alien detention centre too.

wrong war - WW1 had the detention centre ar Knockaloe - WWII had alien detainment but in requisitioned tourist accomodation along Prom, Hutchinson square etc in Douglas + women and children behind a ring fenced Port St Mary - the fascists were interned in Peel.

Knockaloe catered for 25,000 - easy to add the huts back on the fields - could offer as a secure detention centre for asylum seekers ? - some individuals get very rich from supplying the WW1 camp.

Archived