Killing Two Birds

Slim

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsha...09/01/yvo1.html

Obama's getting stuck into the environmental issues already. Recession could push this kind of development two ways, either use it to help stimulate a new area of the economy or cutting back to save dosh.

I like this quote referenced in the above article:

This morning, Yvo de Boer, executive secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, echoed the same feeling. "At the moment," said de Boer, "we are facing two interlinked crises." He went on to say the economic crisis was an indication that humans have been living beyond their financial means, and the climate crisis an indication that we have been living beyond the means of the planet.

"The only way of addressing these two problems is by addressing them in synergy," he said.

There's no reason we couldn't do similar here. Create some local industry and create jobs by investing now into renewable energy.

There's no reason we couldn't do similar here. Create some local industry and create jobs by investing now into renewable energy.

Given the Island's low emplyment you would have problems finidng good staff at an affordable wage, don't forget an island has to export to survive.

Renewable energy - I don't think the elected Muppetry can grasp that.

What do you have in mind other than wind farms - something up at the Point of Ayre on the Bahama banks which harnesses the race?

What do you have in mind other than wind farms - something up at the Point of Ayre on the Bahama banks which harnesses the race?

I'm not an expert, but I imagine a combination of wind on the higher ground and tidal on each end. Reduce our reliance on imports, generate jobs and local spending and as a side effect it's better for the environment. Where's the downside?

how could it be more expensive the the proffitt power station fucking saga, we as consumers will be paying for that cunts self enrichment for the next 20 years ffs..

Yep, that's the biggest shame. Should have built something much smaller and spent the difference on renewables.

Nice to see him in the press smugly selling renewables to the aussies.

Surely with the massive rips round here (the sound, langness, poa etc) they could stick those floating wave/swell things in.

http://news.mongabay.com/2005/0521-hydro.html

http://www.swellfuel.com/

like those things

Would also stop the trawlers wasting the seabed in that area too so a win win for the environment.

They look like really good ideas, but probably won't happen, as I very much doubt that the 'jobs for boys brigade' would allow a save money scheme that affected their pockets.

You know what I mean and if not, I'll ask LDV to explain it over 20 pages or so. :D

Archived