Jazz Festival Off

bluemonday

"A statement from Tourism and Leisure Minister Martyn Quayle said the department supports around 40 events each year through the tourist event development scheme."

It would be nice to see what the other events are.

"A statement from Tourism and Leisure Minister Martyn Quayle said the department supports around 40 events each year through the tourist event development scheme."

It would be nice to see what the other events are.

Well there's...

This Money Pit

Despite having a budget of £3,026,400 for the 2008 TT and MGP, the Department of Tourism and Leisure is facing an estimated overspend of £696,500.

This has put a squeeze on the overall finances of the department which was having to focus on 'absolute priorities' in order to stay within its budget.

I wonder if it is possible to calculate how much the TT costs the Island each year, including expenses by DOT, Department of Health, Police etc.

I wonder if it is possible to calculate how much the TT costs the Island each year, including expenses by DOT, Department of Health, Police etc.

This is one of the island's great mysteries. It is of course possible to calculate the net cost of the TT, but to do so would require access to information held by government. And government seems to be in no hurry to divulge that information.

Why? Perhaps because if other countries saw the huge profits to be made, they would all rush around and set up copy-cat events of their own.

An alternative scenario is that the whole thing costs a lot more than people suppose, and if they knew the true figures there would be an outcry and demands that the TT be abolished.

Of course, the truth may be that actually it hovers between a los and a profit. But if so, why be so coy with the figures? If it costs very little over-all, and brings pleasure to many, that's a good reason to keep it.

My suspicion is that MHKs are terrified of raising this issue in case they are perceived to be anti-TT - with a consequent need to find a new job after the next election.

S

I'll be glad to see the back of the Jazz festival if only it were to be replaced by a rock festival....but alas it won't but I'm sure some feckin folk band crap will be supported or some other conservative appeasing shite, when will the Dept. of Tourism and Leisure realise that the flippin' 19th century passed a couple of centuries ago and that geriatrics aren't the only ones that need catering for....take away the social security benefits for the lazy, piss taking wasters and use that for festivals...and let the Island be entertained so that the working class can feel a bit better about being slaves to the wage for the benefit of the wealthy, we don't all want to go to the feckin Gaeity to watch some outdated, hammed up, piss poorly acted, woeful amateur dramatic production of some unfunny play or musical....get some rock music festival sorted DTL.....NOW!!!! :lol:

I'll be glad to see the back of the Jazz festival if only it were to be replaced by a rock festival....but alas it won't but I'm sure some feckin folk band crap will be supported or some other conservative appeasing shite, when will the Dept. of Tourism and Leisure realise that the flippin' 19th century passed a couple of centuries ago and that geriatrics aren't the only ones that need catering for

Rock music is mostly geriatric and conservative.

The festival received funding of about £19,000 from DTL last year and brought in more than 200 visitors.

A full page advert in something like BA's inflight magazine costs approx £13,000 a month at the current rate card. A TV campaign costs around £1 million.

Come on DTL £19,000 is a worth it to keep events like this alive - even if it is a loss leader.

Piss poor and all that Jazz.

38764679jp6.gif

Archived