Manx Radio Listening Figures Drop

Gagster

i turn on Manx Radio in the morning for news and current affairs.

When Alex comes on he really winds me up so i have to turn him off straight away.

I think that the problem is that being on the radio has got to his head (read his web site) and he honestly believes that the ratings are good because of his tales...

i think that the ratings are good because people want to listen to the local news and current affairs.

get the impression that AB is probably a nice guy, hence his co presenters probably feel that they have to support him. perhaps they should listen to AB's show as if they were the general public with no connection to such a fuckin TWAT.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manx Radio was only good for the swap shop they do/did as I stopped listening. Where an old woman could get the chance to swap some groceries, said there was some veg and some tins of beans etc and was looking to trade them for a sewing machine. Hearing that is a warming and defining moment, hopefully her family members were listening and had her snuggled up in a care home soon after. no need for a shopping bag she'd give you the one off her hip, rinsed of course.

Swap shop was brilliant.

I was in a taxi coming back from the airport one morning and the driver had swap shop on. This chap came on and said ' hey Suzie I've got a give-away'. 'Oh that's excellent says the lovely Suzie, what is it?'

' My apprentice, he's fucking useless'

Queue taxi almost sliding off the road...

Swap shop - brilliant.

I don’t really care if people do or don’t like Alex Brindley, he clearly has some fan base to justify his existence. I don’t have any issues with the bloke and feel that his show is typical of breakfast radio.

You mean typical of most regional radio breakfast shows. Those generally being shows broadcast from small towns fronted by big headed twerps with irritating voices who are funny in an almost Partridge-esque way (ie, exclusively in their own minds).

The brat Brindley should go he is a bloody embarressment to the island and that Bob whatshischops in the afternoon is awful. I listen on the lap top to a show called the Strawberry Alarm Clock in the morning.http://www.fm104.ie/ Really funny and great tunes Niamh one of the presenters used to live in peel. In the car on the way to work i listen to Three Fm.

When Alex comes on he really winds me up so i have to turn him off straight away.

I think that the problem is that being on the radio has got to his head (read his web site) and he honestly believes that the ratings are good because of his tales...

i think that the ratings are good because people want to listen to the local news and current affairs.

get the impression that AB is probably a nice guy, hence his co presenters probably feel that they have to support him. perhaps they should listen to AB's show as if they were the general public with no connection to such a f********* t***.

Ditto!

get the impression that AB is probably a nice guy, hence his co presenters probably feel that they have to support him. perhaps they should listen to AB's show as if they were the general public with no connection to such a f********* t***.

Ditto!

Ditto ditto .......

That's for mentioning he has a website. Had a quick read and PMSL - it would be great to live inside his head for 5 minutes the overwhelming feeling of self gratification and personal significance would be better than any drug you can buy.

Pongo and TOG. I did mention this the last time you mentioned it, but TBH I can't remember what was said (my bad).

Best thing for anyone with a view on MR (positive or negative, but hopefully constructive) is to contact the Programme Controller direct - he's a good bloke and will give you a straight answer, or a reason behind the way things are done.

marctyley@manxradio.com

To be fair, it is primarily a classical music station.

The vast majority of what I hear them playing is 19th century or later.

Which makes sense really since the vast majority of surviving music is 19th century or later.

Maybe we listen at different times.

Until Beethoven came along, instrumental music was considered inferior to the voice. Arguably, singers then were greater than now. Certainly we don't see many castrati nowadays. And before Haydn and Mozart, music was constricted both by the available techniques and by available instruments. Mozart wouldn't recognise a modern piano, and he wouldn't think the Hammerklavier sonata was possible.

Although there were great composers prior to the 19th C, they were at something of a disadvantage compared to those who came later. The golden age of music actually began in the early 19th C as Beethoven came to maturity and revolutionised every musical form except opera. Roughly a hundred years later it was all over.

So, yes. Although Vivaldi's Quattro Stagioni is allegedly the most popular piece of music ever written (in the West), most music that we hear is from the 19th C. All Beethoven, nearly all opera bar Mozart, and just about everything else. In the 20th C, only Puccini and Richard Strauss would be seriously missed if they hadn't existed.

Huge amounts of music survive from before the 19th C. It's just not played a lot, partly because it's rather uninspired, and partly because so much of it is church music, and unless you are a monk there's only so much that the human frame can stand. Wading through it is rather like trawling the endless galleries of sad saints in the Uffizi in Florence. Just when you are about to expire you reach Botticelli and the sun comes out.

S

Huge amounts of music survive from before the 19th C. It's just not played a lot

Bach, Handel, Pergolesi? More or less defining the classical era and all dead in the 18th century.

I know that you know everything and I'm just a provincial pleb, but I'm curious about your definition of classical music. The classical epoch really ends in the early 19th century. And it was only called the classical era much later. A bit like how people now go on about how great music was in the 80s.

After that you are logically in the industrial, modern world. You see it exactly mirrored in art at the same time. By 1850 people were whizzing around on steam trains and photographing each other and getting high on absinth and laudenam.

eta: Somewhere in between you have the flipping awful romantic era music iirc

Which is why IMO Scott Joplin, Louis Armstrong, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker and The Fall deserve to exist on the radio alongside say Schostokovich or Debussy.

But I'm probably wrong.

I find the Carnaby street (spelling ?) program very boring - after a while it's the same old stuff.

Mind you I guess 99% of the population have better things to do on Saturday mnorning than listen to the radio.

I also honestly believe that there would be an international audience for that sort of thing (how ever small to begin with).

Remembering that most of the people with Manx ancestors do not live on the IOM. Therefore the potential for ultimate sponsorship is ultimately feasible.

+ the tourism / wider interest argument

bollocks .. stats please or button it..

I also honestly believe that there would be an international audience for that sort of thing (how ever small to begin with).

Remembering that most of the people with Manx ancestors do not live on the IOM. Therefore the potential for ultimate sponsorship is ultimately feasible.

+ the tourism / wider interest argument

bollocks .. stats please or button it..

Learn a lttle about the Island's history and you'll understand that young Pongo is right.

Archived