Manx Radio Listening Figures Drop

Gagster

I also honestly believe that there would be an international audience for that sort of thing (how ever small to begin with).

Remembering that most of the people with Manx ancestors do not live on the IOM. Therefore the potential for ultimate sponsorship is ultimately feasible.

+ the tourism / wider interest argument

bollocks .. stats please or button it..

eg Ancestry Centre scheme to boost Manx 'roots tourism'

He predicted a 'massive international response' after pledges of support from groups such as the North American Manx Association, where there are estimated to be a million people with Manx roots

which is more people than live on the IOM already.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to like Alex & Stu in the mornings, only listen really in the morning & during driving times [catch the 8am-9am slot, some of Stu's Moaning Line equivalent at lunchtime & the 5-5.30pm slot] and the amount of adverts these days is ridiculous. On a drive from Douglas - Laxey or similar you can find yourself only hearing adverts. Haven't these people ever heard of spacing their adverts out? 5 or so at once, then leading up to 3 or more to sponsor the news/weather etc? Bah.

Yeah, and those adverts are sooo BAD.

I also honestly believe that there would be an international audience for that sort of thing (how ever small to begin with).

Remembering that most of the people with Manx ancestors do not live on the IOM. Therefore the potential for ultimate sponsorship is ultimately feasible.

+ the tourism / wider interest argument

bollocks .. stats please or button it..

eg Ancestry Centre scheme to boost Manx 'roots tourism'

He predicted a 'massive international response' after pledges of support from groups such as the North American Manx Association, where there are estimated to be a million people with Manx roots

which is more people than live on the IOM already.

their ancestry is too diluted now they are as manx as most of you 10 year residents with your manx passports..

and you cant tell me much about the keltic leagues worldwide.

heres a link of interest.. http://www.agencebretagnepresse.com/fetch....eltic&key1= not good publicity..

good old bernie .. J B Moffatt Director of Information celtic League 24/11/08

their ancestry is too diluted now

Says who?

If they have any interest in their ancestry who the hell are you to tell them that they can't

a thorough bred and you .. or are you another heinz variety..

bytheway .. there has been lots of very interesting manxmen abroad .. real pioneering stuff and of a great interest to me over the years..

I understand the on going misleading RAJAR figures might be investigated by IOM Comms Commission. As stated here many times the figures for the Alex Brindley Breakfast programme, between 7.30 & 8.30, really belong to Mandate. I understand that no mention is made of the split in frequencies. Could advertising houses in the UK be buying airtime off rate cards that show this large audience, yet those commercials only go out on AM? Could this even be a case of fraud?

Presently Manx2 sponsor the breakfast show only to be replace with Aer Arann when Mandate starts.

Same thing happened between Sure & Manx Telecom.

As for Mr Brindley it may appear the management just don't know what to do with him. Who else wants to get up at that time of day?

Now Manx Radio post a "news" item about DAB radio uptake.

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=32248

In my opinion this is nothing short of propaganda saying we need more government money!

Huge amounts of music survive from before the 19th C. It's just not played a lot

Bach, Handel, Pergolesi? More or less defining the classical era and all dead in the 18th century.

I know that you know everything and I'm just a provincial pleb, but I'm curious about your definition of classical music. The classical epoch really ends in the early 19th century. And it was only called the classical era much later. A bit like how people now go on about how great music was in the 80s.

After that you are logically in the industrial, modern world. You see it exactly mirrored in art at the same time. By 1850 people were whizzing around on steam trains and photographing each other and getting high on absinth and laudenam.

eta: Somewhere in between you have the flipping awful romantic era music iirc

Which is why IMO Scott Joplin, Louis Armstrong, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker and The Fall deserve to exist on the radio alongside say Schostokovich or Debussy.

But I'm probably wrong.

Come, come, Pongo, you are being disingenuous in suggesting you don't know the popular definition of the term "classical music", which I inferred was what you meant when you wrote: "People often think it's a classical station..." After all, what is the meaning of "classic" in the name "Classic FM"? It certainly doesn't mean pre-Romantic.

And whether or not you think it is proper, the simple fact is that music from the Romantic period, which you seem not to like, is much more popular than music from earlier periods.

I own the 1926 edition of Groves Dictionary of Music (can't afford a new one), and many Baroque and Classical composers (Albinoni for one) aren't even listed. Music from the pre-Romantic era almost disappeared in the 19th C, but has gradually been making a comeback, particularly after WWII.

And yes, you are wrong. Personally, I rate Bach and Handel very highly, but they are Baroque composers, not Classical. Haydn and Mozart define the Classical period, and Beethoven crowns it whilst throwing open the doors to Romanticism.

S

I own the 1926 edition of Groves Dictionary of Music (can't afford a new one), and many Baroque and Classical composers (Albinoni for one) aren't even listed. Music from the pre-Romantic era almost disappeared in the 19th C, but has gradually been making a comeback, particularly after WWII.

CLICK

CLICK

They're a bit coy about the price of the subscription, but I read somewhere that it is £200.00 per year.

S

Archived