Manx Radio Listening Figures Drop

Gagster

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we have a 'Companies to Boycott because they're insulting our intelligence' topic - might make MR review who they use as an ad agency (they're in Blackpool I think?). Any ad that mispronounces Manx names shouldn't even be aired until corrected. For the ones that really grate - at least the company paying for them ought to know what we think of them. At the moment, for me, it's the Quinn Kneale one, and an office equipment company (don't know who because I find it so annoying I leap for the off switch).

Greetings,

The best programme on that radio was the Mannin Line, but for me that died with Marge Joughin maysherestinpeace.

They want to do a special 'Tribute to Marge Joughin' programme on there with some of her best quotes - she was the best presenter they ever had.

As for the mispronunciation of Manx words, it's simply laziness. The spelling system isn't that different from english, and compared with Irish orthography it's very easy; there are just a few simple rules to follow. But there are so many english people about, and so few Manx people to correct them, that these butchered pronunciations soon become standard.

As for the mispronunciation of Manx words, it's simply laziness. The spelling system isn't that different from english, and compared with Irish orthography it's very easy; there are just a few simple rules to follow. But there are so many english people about, and so few Manx people to correct them, that these butchered pronunciations soon become standard.

In fairness (and speaking as a Manx person) the vast majority of locals haven't a clue about the correct pronunciation of Manx words and most of them couldn't give a toss about it either.

thats because the MAJORITY of locals are not manx lonan. .. and you will find that the minority do care.

Okay, let me amend my statement: the vast majority of Manx people haven't a clue about the correct pronunciation of Manx words and most of them couldn't give a toss about it either.

Always had a bit of a regard for John Hines on MR, he seems able to fit in wherever they put him, very professional and able, shame they have not got more presenters of his standard.

Maybe Dan Davis will return after his stint sorting out the government?

Must admit that I've been listening to CW this morning and it's not soo bad. Must be all the coffee I drank this morning.

They want to do a special 'Tribute to Marge Joughin' programme on there with some of her best quotes - she was the best presenter they ever had.

what's that then?? an hour of 'am i on am i on?' i always wondered why she thought a radio presenter was a telepathic gynecologist?

what's that then?? an hour of 'am i on am i on?' i always wondered why she thought a radio presenter was a telepathic gynecologist?

And would the 'highlights' include her certainty that a visit from the Chinese State Circus was going to lead to a flu epidemic?

Archived