Surmmerland Site

Lee54

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is slightly off topic but if there is anybody interested, I found a 'transcript' (if its what you call it?) for the story about Summerland being built, what it looked like inside, the fire, and aftermath of the fire. It is really interesting, but of course very sad. I do hope he finds a publisher as it seems an almost forgotten thing. I had never heard of the fire until a few years ago and I know a lot of people hadn't heard about it who I know on the Isle of Man.

http://www.gees.bham.ac.uk/staff/phillipsid.shtml

Thats a very interesting read.

I know, I thought it was interesting to find out what exactly happened, horrifying stuff though.

I looked absolutely great in there, especially in the sunning room. Seting aside how few tourists now come to the Island but recognising how boring things get in the winter, would something like that be popular for residents today? A summer styled leisure facility to go of evening in the winters?

I bought a 1973 Summerland brochure a couple of years ago on ebay.

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...c=15916&hl=

Some interesting pics (and adverts!)

Someone might now if his shop is still is still open, but when I used to collect old Manx books I used to go to the shop to the antiques shop on Demesne Road in Douglas. The fella there had postcards from Summerland, from before the fire.

It is slightly off topic but if there is anybody interested, I found a 'transcript' (if its what you call it?) for the story about Summerland being built, what it looked like inside, the fire, and aftermath of the fire. It is really interesting, but of course very sad. I do hope he finds a publisher as it seems an almost forgotten thing. I had never heard of the fire until a few years ago and I know a lot of people hadn't heard about it who I know on the Isle of Man.

http://www.gees.bham.ac.uk/staff/phillipsid.shtml

Read a lot of this - very upsetting!

Really interesting though, scary how a simular thing could happen (not the same I know) in the future, having a good time out with the family. SHIT.

Sorry and this may have been asked in previous threads...but was the fire at SL an arson job or an electrical/oil fire like the one at the pier at Weston-Super Mare?

IIRC it was some young lads messing around on an outside deck who set fire to a bin which then set fire to the Oroglass outer shell. Not exactly arson, but not exactly without human intervention. Dreadful thing, I remember it very well.

I bought a 1973 Summerland brochure a couple of years ago on ebay.

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...c=15916&hl=

Some interesting pics (and adverts!)

Yeah, the pics are really good. I forgot about that bridge that used to run across the road. Was that taken down because it was dangerous?

Summerland after the fire seems so gloomy and dark in comparison. But I did love the place when I used to go there in regularly in the late 90s. Shame it has gone.

Sorry and this may have been asked in previous threads...but was the fire at SL an arson job or an electrical/oil fire like the one at the pier at Weston-Super Mare?

IIRC it was some young lads messing around on an outside deck who set fire to a bin which then set fire to the Oroglass outer shell. Not exactly arson, but not exactly without human intervention. Dreadful thing, I remember it very well.

Yes - was listening on an old radiogram I had just carted back from from the Ramsey Junk shop (later Jurby Junk). That junk shop in the old railway station was heaven for a young lad.

Wow just seen the old summerland brochure, looks amazing and its unbeleivable to think the IOM would have taken such a leap and built something like that, the building itself could've been built today, only thing that looks dated is the arcade...

Sun room looks space age, never heard or seen anything like it, all i saw was the old run down summerland, which was an eyesore and i'd imagine a constant reminding for those who saw the fire.

Seems like the island has gone backwards when you see that though.....no amusments (Cresent closed, high street one shite), castle mona is closed (well its basically wasting a way, pointless again!) and there is nothing I could call an "entertainment centre" on the IOM now.

Whats the Island got to offer thats unique or worth shouting about....besides the TT? and something for permanent residents + visitors........?

I used to work at summerland as a kid in 1972, the year before the fire, on the rollerskates and ghost train. It was a truly magical place run by Trust House Forte, with all sorts going on during the day and night. Some holidaymakers seemed to spend most of their time there!

They had bars, restaurants, shows, the Cave Disco with Johhny Silver, a Dutch DJ and mad as a hatter. There seemed to be an army of staff and managers and I remember I was paid 0.22p per hour!

I remember the fire as though it were yesterday. it's frightening to think how quickly it took hold and how fiercely it burned. I lost several friends in it. One was pulled out alive at 10am the following day. He had hidden under a sink and left the taps running. I was with his brother and a friend overlooking the place on Strathallan Road. My friend lost his parents in the fire.

The whole thing seemed to be well organised by the emergency services, taxi's were being used as ambulances. People were queueing to give blood at the St Johns HQ. Everyone wanted to help.

I remember the days following it all, the town was so deeply in shock. They seemed to be finding bodies for days and storing them in what is now Bar George.

Happy days.

Archived