[BBC News] Pedestrian 'critical' after crash

Newsbot

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and the alternative route back from St Johns is ?

I don't know quite where on the road the incident happened but if the car was heading towards Douglas then I guess the school side - the pavement starts around the school as does the 30mph zone

Police appeal for witnesses after a pedestrian is struck by a car and left seriously injured in the Isle of Man.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7862558.stm

Very sad, but it's not a place to be walking on a wet and windy night.

S

I wish we all had your amazing ability at foresight....are you ever wrong or subject to misjudgement.

I don't know quite where on the road the incident happened but if the car was heading towards Douglas then I guess the school side - the pavement starts around the school as does the 30mph zone

By the cemetery, apparently. In thirty years I have never seen anybody walking along there at night. There is no pavement in places, and it is no place for a pedestrian to be. There are after all, buses.

S

Police appeal for witnesses after a pedestrian is struck by a car and left seriously injured in the Isle of Man.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7862558.stm

Very sad, but it's not a place to be walking on a wet and windy night.

S

I wish we all had your amazing ability at foresight....are you ever wrong or subject to misjudgement.

Yup. Replying to your invariably asinine posts is an example.

Just as it didn't take a genius to see that house prices would fall, so it also doesn't take a genius to see that walking on that road, in that place, at that time, in those conditions, is not conducive to safety.

Or can't you see that, either?

S

Yup. Replying to your invariably asinine posts is an example.

Just as it didn't take a genius to see that house prices would fall, so it also doesn't take a genius to see that walking on that road, in that place, at that time, in those conditions, is not conducive to safety.

Or can't you see that, either?

S

Oooo asinine...thats a good one.

Your self-promotion is somewhat tiring though....I wish I was you. You seem ace.

By the cemetery, apparently. In thirty years I have never seen anybody walking along there at night. There is no pavement in places, and it is no place for a pedestrian to be. There are after all, buses.

S

You turn out to be a bigger asshat with every post, Sebrof. A pedestrian should be safe walking on teh side of the road, cars should be driving within their visibility. I've walked and cycled down that road, and there's a great number of idiotic drivers with attitudes like you, cars rule the road and everyone should get out of their way.

Idiot.

S

There is a pavement all the way from Peel to St. Johns. (in actual fact there is a pavement all the way from Peel to Douglas)

S

You turn out to be a bigger asshat with every post, Sebrof. A pedestrian should be safe walking on teh side of the road, cars should be driving within their visibility. I've walked and cycled down that road, and there's a great number of idiotic drivers with attitudes like you, cars rule the road and everyone should get out of their way.

Idiot.

It's a pity you are unable to disagree with somebody without being offensive. And it's a pity you have a tendency to read more into a statement than is actually there.

Of course people SHOULD be safe walking along the road, but the reality of life is that some roads are more dangerous than others. Of course, drivers SHOULD drive within their limit of visibility, but as you yourself pointed out, "there's a great number of idiotic drivers", so you are actually arguing my point.

Thank you.

S

S

There is a pavement all the way from Peel to St. Johns. (in actual fact there is a pavement all the way from Peel to Douglas)

Just shows how unobservant I am. Thanks for the correction.

S

what we haven't heard is whether the driver was sober and on the road, and also whether the walker was sober and on the pavement?? obviously if they were both where they ought to have been, a collision is not a likely occurance.

I've used the bus and driven along that road countless times - I'm off Island at present but can visualise the pavement to just past the school but not beyond there - I've even walked the road but usually back from Tynwald and still can't visualise the pavement for the section before the school - just goes to show how memory (at a certain age!) is very selective

Aye, only on one side tho:

post-7-1233426511_thumb.jpg

Sebrof, 'pedestrians have no place there' and 'pedestrians aren't safe there' are two very different statements in my book, and attitudes like that only make it worse.

People in cars seem cocooned to other life most of the time, it's disturbing how detached drivers can be.

Archived