Stu's Views

Moghrey Mie

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manx or not, I'd like to think that whoever comes over here, that they abide by our laws and way of life. If they don't like it, then go somewhere where you find your lifestyle matches to what you want to do.

Can't be fairer than that...can I?

(maybe I should have said nothing)

Manx or not, I'd like to think that whoever comes over here, that they abide by our laws and way of life. If they don't like it, then go somewhere where you find your lifestyle matches to what you want to do.

Can't be fairer than that...can I?

(maybe I should have said nothing)

Way too late now Manxy! Hehe. I think if people enter into a society they should not be anti-social and that will no doubt accord with much of what you mean. Should they strictly obey the Island's LAWS? No, not necessarily. They are not more the Manx peoples laws than the person moving to the country. And more importantly, how many Manx people break them anyway? Manx people certainly do not obey they own laws.

I think that if people have lived here for, say, 10 years, and have blended into Island life, and they want to consider themselves as Manx, that is fine.

It doesn't mean that they are Manx, but, at least they have the right aspirations!

Of course, if they defend Alex Brindley, this disqualifies them from any claim to Manxness or sanity.

Nothing bizarre about wanting to be President of the World, Keybollox. And you don't have to be Manx to realise political ambitions locally.

Thanks to the others for the comments though - more positive than I expected!

If I could be elected as Minister of Transport (something I feel passionately about), I'd maybe stand (I have toyed with the idea). The reality is that IF I got in, I'd no doubt do an entire first term as a rookie backbencher and maybe eventually get a shot at a department I have little interest in, and only if I was re-elected. So being Minister of Transport would probably be at least 17 years away, by which time I expect to be dead.

But I hate committees, interminable meetings, mountains of paperwork, toeing the line and being nice to people I don't like.

So in all, I'm not really suited to being an MHK or MLC. Becoming President of the World and Supreme Despot (even in my head) is much more fun.

Archived