Stu's Views

Moghrey Mie

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it that that a lot of the people from middle England that move away, appear not to want to be associated with England, I know Scottish and Irish people who have been here over 20 years and are still proud to be Scottish or Irish and would never declare themselves Manx. In the USA people still claim they are Irish American, Italian American etc. generations later but I don’t think I’ve heard anyone describe himself or herself as English American (but you will always find a scouser telling you how great Liverpool is).

As for Colin Jerry he did immerse himself in all things Manx, but was still a come over. :D

Should it not be a requirment that all MHKs and Manx radio presenters speak fluent Manx similar to the ruels in Wales, even though they all speak English. We could also have road signs in both english and Manx and may be take an oath to Ellin Vannin similar to what imigrants to Ausseys do.

Why is it that that a lot of the people from middle England that move away, appear not to want to be associated with England...

Me - I'm English (on the Island since 1962, on and off since 1979, don't need a work permit to return to the Island). I'm very ashamed to be English given recent actions of the government.

Should it not be a requirment that all MHKs and Manx radio presenters speak fluent Manx similar to the ruels in Wales, even though they all speak English. We could also have road signs in both english and Manx and may be take an oath to Ellin Vannin similar to what imigrants to Ausseys do.

It certainly shouldn't be a requirement that all MHK's speak Manx. There shouldn't be restrictions on who people can vote for. It may be desirable that they speak Manx, but you can't be saying this category of person is unacceptable and this category can have all the power, because that's a slippery slope that ends in Apartheid.

In fact I'd go further, I'd abolish all restrictions as well. If an 8 year old Belgian stands in Michael, and he gets elected the people of Michael have only themselves to blame if he can't follow the proceedings.

It should not be a requirement that MHKs and Manx radio presenters speak fluent Manx. A number of MHKs do speak some Manx, and I know that at least one or two are fluent. Manx Radio presenters who present programmes in or about Manx Gaelic are excellent, and those who don't usually make an effort when required. Alex Brindley, of all people, handles his announcements in Manx extremely well. Road signs in most areas of the island have been bilingual for many years - in many cases the translations (into English) were instigated by The Manx Language Society themselves, so that people who didn't know what the Manx meant could understand. I would recommend anyone with an interest in Ellan Vannin to learn at least a little of the language. Speaking Manx doesn't make an individual any more Manx than the next person, but just like many other aspects of sporting and cultural life here it enrichens us all.

I've been here five years so am a stopover, fortunately I'm a Saxon so will never be Manx in any way.

Funny you should say that.

Fortunately I'm 100% Celt and will never be English in any way.

The Manx are not more Celts than half of the English are.

I don't know if anyone watched it first time round but on Youtube there is an interesting programme on there about determining how English people are from their DNA. I think it is called How English Are You (might be wrong). But a manx version would funny to watch.

Ah a crab has the temerity to defend the Manx and the protests are quick to surface. I'm no rabid anti-comeover, I'd never judge anybody on the trivia of their origins or colour (which is more than can be said for a lot of English I know). There are decent comeovers and comeovers who are total tits, equally there are decent Manx and Manx who are total tits. Comeovers add to the mix on the island and contribute towards making it the very pleasant place to live, it undoubtedly is - at least it is in my opinion and the opinion of many comeovers I know.

The thing which does grate a little however are the comeovers who live here, earn their living here but do nothing but moan about us, Jehovah doesn't seem to happy here for example. For that sort of comeover I'm sure I don't need to go into detail as to my suggestion for them.

Hint - Jehovah if you don't like it here nobody is keeping you from Sussex or Essex or wherever it is you can trace your origins back to the year dot.

Why is it that that a lot of the people from middle England that move away, appear not to want to be associated with England...

Me - I'm English (on the Island since 1962, on and off since 1979, don't need a work permit to return to the Island). I'm very ashamed to be English given recent actions of the government.

UK Government is that? I don't see how the English are much to blame for that, I'd blame the Scottish (but maybe that is not fair either as ZANU Liebour are so defiantly British).

After the Romans left Britain, hordes of invaders came in and pushed the native Celts into the extremities - Cornwall, Wales, Scotland. Most of these invaders were Saxons, and that is why English is basically a Germanic language. Cut open an Englishman's veins and you will find a mixture of Viking, Celt, and German blood - plus a few other varieties.

I suspect that most Manxmen have some English blood in them (and a large part of Viking), just as most Englishmen have some Celt. Arguing about how much of each is pretty futile, in my view. Especially as the Vikings were perhaps a Germanic offshoot anyway.

S

Oh yeah I know, but just find it bizarre how people think they are celtic because they are Manx.

We could also have road signs in both english and Manx and may be take an oath to Ellin Vannin similar to what imigrants to Ausseys do.

I am lost, what would we need an oath for?

Well DON'T BE. What do you the English have to do with their government. Only a tiny few make decisions, so at most be ashamed to be part of the human race where a bunch of bastards can behave as they do.

UK Government is that?

Yes, the Island's government's as its always been.

After the Romans left Britain, hordes of invaders came in and pushed the native Celts into the extremities - Cornwall, Wales, Scotland. Most of these invaders were Saxons, and that is why English is basically a Germanic language. Cut open an Englishman's veins and you will find a mixture of Viking, Celt, and German blood - plus a few other varieties.

I suspect that most Manxmen have some English blood in them (and a large part of Viking), just as most Englishmen have some Celt. Arguing about how much of each is pretty futile, in my view. Especially as the Vikings were perhaps a Germanic offshoot anyway.

S

Oh yeah I know, but just find it bizarre how people think they are celtic because they are Manx.

We could also have road signs in both english and Manx and may be take an oath to Ellin Vannin similar to what imigrants to Ausseys do.

I am lost, what would we need an oath for?

Well DON'T BE. What do you the English have to do with their government. Only a tiny few make decisions, so at most be ashamed to be part of the human race where a bunch of bastards can behave as they do.

Well I think with a Celt origin surname, a Manx family, father's side going way back and a Southern Irish mother, with her family going way back in Ireland, I've got a bit more chance of being Celt than English.

Just a thought.

Quite a few Celts in Salford, like many industrial towns in the North West of England, lots of Irish and Welsh moved there for the work.

In fact didn't Plaid Cymru suggest Liverpool as a possible capital of a pan-Celtic nation?

edit - did I imagine someone talking about Salford?

Archived