Stu's Views

Moghrey Mie

:(

Shame my great great grandmother changed it from Hutchin to Hudson.

And when I think that my family didn't just come from Dalby, but came from the Lagg, hidden away in the valley they may have been living there for a very long time.

I do have Leslie Quilliam's book "Surnames of the Manks" and that is how I came under the impression that it was not Manx. Very interesting. Will have to buy that book if it comes up on Ebay. But Goldsmith and Morrisson are not English names? Oh right.

Smooks - it doesn't make me a Celt though. It just means my name originates from the Isle of Man where the language was of the celtic 'branch'

Goldsmith is translated from Teare. One branch of the Teares were orginally called MacTeerboy / Mac y Teyir Buigh which means literally 'Son of the Yellow Craftsman,' or 'Son of the Craftsman of Yellow'.

Morrison is translated from Mylvoirrey / Mac Gil Voirrey - 'Son of the devotee of Mary'.

Lag / Lagg means 'hollow' in Manx. Were your family weavers by any chance? If so, there's at least one story, and a song, about your ancestors you might be interested in.

ha ha ha mine is mckay dont look it up.

:( omg i'm the devil i feel sick now

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lag / Lagg means 'hollow' in Manx. Were your family weavers by any chance? If so, there's at least one story, and a song, about your ancestors you might be interested in.

No idea. I believe they came from Ballahutchin farm, if I remember right from what my grandad told me. And one side of the family at one stage were Hutchins and the other Kennaughs. And they lived in Lagg (pretty sure the Kennaughs did) or in the area between the village and Traie Vane. But I would suppose that the Hutchins living in the Lagg were at some stage my ancestors or distant family. But I was told by my grandad that there were apparently FIFTY families living in the Lagg area alone a few centuries ago.

Would love to read the story, or any info you have about Hutchins, the Lagg, and Traie Vane. Thanks very much.

Just out of interest, do you have big lips?

This is a snippet of an old song.

HUDGEON Y FlDDER

V'eh goll seose ec y Creg doo,

Cha row eh wheesh as troggal e kione.

Son va daa veill er Hudgeon,

Kiart wheesh as my daa ghoayrn,

As va daa rolley dy hombaga

Ayns mean er e vart conney.

HUDGEON THE WEAVER

He was going up at the Black Rock, (near Niarbyl)

He was not as much as lifting his head.

For there were two lips on Hudgeon,

Just as big as my two fists,

And there were two rolls of tobacco

In the middle of his load of gorse.

Hahaha, it must be something of a family trait. It would be interesting to know when this was written, as I know that up until the mid-late 1700s the name was Hutchin and not Hudgeon.

But I suppose accuracy in written documents was not as important or accuracy even possible when going from Manx to English.

FFS...we digress.

WTF has this got to do with Stu Peters claiming to be Manx?

He's lived here 12 years...as someone noted earlier, if he lived in China for 12 years, would he think he was Chinese?

Suppose it's a bit like who cares about your opinion of the Manx language?

Your comeover status was never in doubt by the way, bet you say Port ERRIN too.

Purt ny hInshey is the Gaelic name - means literally Port of the Small Island. The small island being Innish Pherick - St Patricks Isle. It was also known in English, in the past, as Holmtown - 'holm' being a Norse word for island. The word Peel refers to the tall tower that forms part of the castle - hence Peel Castle, over time people must have forgotten what a 'peel' was and assumed that the castle took its name from the town, and so assumed the town itself was called Peel. It continued to be called Purt ny hInshey in Manx. A gobbag (pronounced govig), by the way, is a dog fish, so named because of its sharp beaklike face (gob = beak) - it was originally applied to Douglas people because they caught dogfish on baited lines set on Douglas beach. The nickname was transferred to natives of Peel early last century.

Purt ny hInshey is the Gaelic name - means literally Port of the Small Island. The small island being Innish Pherick - St Patricks Isle. It was also known in English, in the past, as Holmtown - 'holm' being a Norse word for island. The word Peel refers to the tall tower that forms part of the castle - hence Peel Castle, over time people must have forgotten what a 'peel' was and assumed that the castle took its name from the town, and so assumed the town itself was called Peel. It continued to be called Purt ny hInshey in Manx. A gobbag (pronounced govig), by the way, is a dog fish, so named because of its sharp beaklike face (gob = beak) - it was originally applied to Douglas people because they caught dogfish on baited lines set on Douglas beach. The nickname was transferred to natives of Peel early last century.

I have it in my book that is used to be a term for Dalby people by Peel folk.

I was wrong, apparently Peel is a Middle English word.

My nana used to call Douglas people 'butties'. But I don't suppose that is Manx.

I have it in my book that is used to be a term for Dalby people by Peel folk.

I was wrong, apparently Peel is a Middle English word.

My nana used to call Douglas people 'butties'. But I don't suppose that is Manx.

I don't know if the origin is in Manx Gaelic, but I would expect so - probably from their habit of calling eachother 'butty' - which seems to have morphed into 'matey' in recent years. Butty was a common word for a workmate in many British dialects long before 'buddy' became well known in America. There is a similar word for a workmate in Irish, and the Manx word for a (work) partnership is, indeed, 'boodeeys'.

The point of my involvement with this thread however is not especially to demonstrate my Manx credentials, it's to take issue with the comeovers who moan about living here. Which I must confess is a pet irritant of mine.

My impression is that most of the moaning is done by locals. Comeovers are unlikely to come over if they don't think much of the place.

S

Perhaps you should re-read this thread.

Perhaps you don't meet enough people.

S

You didn't re-read the thread then?

As I've already said, I have no problem with comeovers whatsoever, neither do most Manx I know either. Do you actually know any Manx?

What a silly question.

And if you reread what is written above, you will see this, written by you: "The point of my involvement with this thread however is not especially to demonstrate my Manx credentials, it's to take issue with the comeovers who moan about living here. Which I must confess is a pet irritant of mine."

That is what I replied to. Are you saying that only Manx people can criticise things they feel aren't perfect? Must all comeovers say that the Racket is wonderful, Flybe's fares are a bargain, MHKs are perfect, and there are no potholes?

And in turn do you refrain from any criticism of an adjacent island?

Thought not.

S

Surprised Manxman2 and the MNP haven't burnt down the station in protest.

I'm English. Not Manx. But I do live on the IOM and expect to be treated equally.

And just a small word to the "boat in the morning" crowd. It should be "there might be a boat in the morning, but don't count on it"

I've no problem with new residents - at least, not with the ones who come here from choice and do their level best to adapt to the way of life.

If they love the place and make it their permanent home, should they be allowed to call themselves 'Manx?' Yes - why not - they probably take a greater degree of pride in living here than most local-born people ever do.

Have they a right to complain about things? Of course they have - provided that they do it appropriately and don't turn it into a general rant about all things Manx.*

On my father's side, I can trace my Manx roots back a very long way. My mother, however, was Irish. So, am I Manx? (You bet your ass, I am!)

My wife is English (No, don't condemn her, it isn't her fault) so, are our kids Manx? (Again, you bet your ass, they are!)

In the grand scheme of things, does any of this matter? No... not even the slightest little bit.

*An exception has to be made to prove the rule and this exception is the poster who calls himself 'Port Erin' - someone ignorant and unpleasant enough to be considered an unwelcome tosser in any part of the planet.

Surprised Manxman2 and the MNP haven't burnt down the station in protest.

I'm English. Not Manx. But I do live on the IOM and expect to be treated equally.

And just a small word to the "boat in the morning" crowd. It should be "there might be a boat in the morning, but don't count on it"

and us manx will treat you and every other comeover with equal contempt..

Archived