Panarama On Tax Havens

Slim

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit like the Stepford Wives or something like that, we should all walk around repeating the mantra:

"The Isle of Man is not a Tax Haven . . . . the Isle of Man is not a Tax Haven . . . . "

You never know, if it is said often enough . . .

A bit like the Stepford Wives or something like that, we should all walk around repeating the mantra:

"The Isle of Man is not a Tax Haven . . . . the Isle of Man is not a Tax Haven . . . . "

You never know, if it is said often enough . . .

It is a Tax Haven, but then so's the UK and the USA. Tax is internationally competitive. The UK can bleat and try to protect their tax revenue, and they should too, but they should also accept that 'tax haven' isn't a dirty word as it'll no doubt be portrayed in this documentary.

of course we're a tax haven

you think the finance, movie, betting and yacht registration companies come here for the weather? or the terrace chippy?

dont kid yourselves, if this was star wars, we'd be on the dark side. get over it and pray the legislators have other stuff to do.

It is a Tax Haven, but then so's the UK and the USA. Tax is internationally competitive. The UK can bleat and try to protect their tax revenue, and they should too, but they should also accept that 'tax haven' isn't a dirty word as it'll no doubt be portrayed in this documentary.

I understand the Russian Government sees the UK as a tax haven for some of their nouveau riche and terrorists. Obama has now included Ireland in his list of tax havens. Are those European countrie that introduced a flat rate 15% tax system also tax havens along with Luxembourg? If the UK has nothing to hide why does it not agree to a 'level playing field' for EU taxation?

It's always good if you have troubles at home to shift the focus onto another country.

Sorry all, it seems I must move on.

It was only a matter of weeks ago that so many of the establishment forum members were busy bleating and whining that the Isle of Man was NOT a Tax Haven.

Looks like that particular battle has now been fought.

Old habits die hard. A bit like the smoking threads I s'pose. I keep wanting to wade in complaining that the selfish reeking bastards make my clothes smell after a night in the pub and all that. And then I realise . . . . :)

So, we are all agreed then . . . . . the Isle of Man IS a Tax Haven.

That's that little peccadillo sorted.

So, we are all agreed then . . . . . the Isle of Man IS a Tax Haven.

That's that little peccadillo sorted.

It is in my opinion, and I don't think I've ever said otherwise. That does depend on your definition of course. My view of a Tax Haven is a competitive tax environment, which makes the USA, the UK tax havens too.

Mr Shoe: The UK also has finance, movie, betting and yacht registration.

Big article in The Guardian today re UK companies and tax dodging. One of the main countries of attention is ..... Netherlands. (Where U2 recently set up shop to avoid Irish tax apparently.)

Guardian stuff starts here

Everywhere will be a tax haven compared with somewhere until world govt is established. By which point the moon will probably be a tax haven.

they also build jap cars, produce oil, have an aerospace industry, universities, F1, alton towers etc.

i think you're a tax haven if that's all you do

of course, keep checking this:

http://www.gov.im/fsc/stats.xml

coz if decembers figures have dropped enough, we might be able to call ourselves a fishing economy

The Islands unlikely to get a balanced appraisal here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_pa...000/7858253.stm

I wonder if there'll be any mention of how much non-uk residents have deposited in british banks?

Suppose it be another example of the BBC's questionable impartiality... NULabor Propaganda masquerading as fact.

Nice to see BBC license fee being put to good use though. Must be galling for IOM 'payers'

they also build jap cars, produce oil, have an aerospace industry, universities, F1, alton towers etc.

i think you're a tax haven if that's all you do

of course, keep checking this:

http://www.gov.im/fsc/stats.xml

coz if decembers figures have dropped enough, we might be able to call ourselves a fishing economy

What is interesting is that so far there is no evidence of a material withdrawal of funds from the IOM. That may all change when the last quarter's figures are published, but at the moment it seems to be steady as she goes. Let's hope it stays that way.

S

Thinking laterally tax havens are cool and beautiful places. That's why they are hated by interfering Governments and their bureaucrats who want to control every last aspect of individual's lives and cordially dislike anything that does not conform to their demands.

Panorama is simply a running dog of the Fat Controller in Downing Street.

Archived