[BBC News] Pay rises behind UK average

Newsbot

Average earnings on the Isle of Man rose by 3.2% last year, a Treasury survey has found...Questionnaires were sent to a sample of Manx employees drawn at random from income tax records.

Obviously they didn't trust the actual income tax records to work out what people earn.

if people got paid for what they did folks would be on a lot less.

Which folks are you talking about? Everyone, most people,... ?

the spongeing twats on benefits, and the statues ( DOT ) just for starters, some of the money people get for shuffleing paper is exorbitant in the extreme. total piss takers.

the spongeing twats on benefits, and the statues ( DOT ) just for starters, some of the money people get for shuffleing paper is exorbitant in the extreme. total piss takers.

I don't understand the DOT thing, I'd need to live on the Island I suppose.

Those on benefits are doing nothing, true, but that is just the way it works, you have to lump it I am afraid. Sorry, I just thought in terms of workers you were talking about more than a small minority. I have more issue with someone like and executive or a top manager in one of the finance companies on £40,000 or more when level of work is not much more than the clerk who works hard. I think they are piss takers, never mind the papers pushers. Even these paper pushers you refer you are not on that good a salary.

QUOTE (WTF @ Feb 2 2009, 10:56 PM) post_snapback.gifthe spongeing twats on benefits, and the statues ( DOT ) just for starters, some of the money people get for shuffleing paper is exorbitant in the extreme. total piss takers.

I don't understand the DOT thing, I'd need to live on the Island I suppose.

LDV, in my opinion WTF is correct. There seem to be 50 times more people working in the offices of said department than 10 years ago. Infact the office staff probably outweigh the actual workforce on the ground now.

Barmy.

I think you need to have a bit more experience of the workplace, LDV.

If anything, in terms of my comments on the executives, I am thinking about experience from working in HSBC, and a few other offices.

Why do you say that though, would be intereste to know in case I am overlooking something?

LDV, in my opinion WTF is correct. There seem to be 50 times more people working in the offices of said department than 10 years ago. Infact the office staff probably outweigh the actual workforce on the ground now.

Barmy.

I can't argue with that and there isn't any reason to. I don't doubt it and it can say a lot about the inefficiencies of having people employed in government. I think WTF was making a statement about wages of the majority of people, in which case I would very much disagree with his position.

But I do find a lot of the criticism of the public sector a bit strange. It is as if those working in the private sector are trying to run a comparative between their wages, environment, standards of work, and degree of (hard-)working. And when they look to the public sector they see how basically they are got it just too good. Which I find a little baffling. Why is the private sector the baseline or norm. It isn't true that the salary reflects in a company reflect the extent to which one has work or the value of that work, that is not how wages operate. But I don't see why such bad standards need be applied to the public which I assume they are.

I have more issue with someone like and executive or a top manager in one of the finance companies on £40,000 or more when level of work is not much more than the clerk who works hard.

You don't get money according to some perception of how "hard" you work, or how much you work. You get paid according to how difficult you are to replace, and how much money you make for a company. People who get paid most are those who bring in the income.

I have more issue with someone like and executive or a top manager in one of the finance companies on £40,000 or more when level of work is not much more than the clerk who works hard.

You don't get money according to some perception of how "hard" you work, or how much you work. You get paid according to how difficult you are to replace, and how much money you make for a company. People who get paid most are those who bring in the income.

poo, the government workers aren't making money for anyone, they are living off the backs of the taxes from the private sector. there is a big hoo ha about goverment pensions at the minute, more private sectors workers money to pay the loafers, some of whom are on a fair bit more than the 40k. there are far too many creators of red tape and jobs to go with it. the assistants, assistants, assistants, assistant type jobs where the last 2 may be doing something and the top 2 are 'doing' fuck all but taking the credit for the work done by their staff, the same staff who could do, and probably would do the same job without some twatty politically correct mouth piece at the top trying to justify their overpayed job title.

Archived