Uk Strike - Discriminating Against British Workers

manxy

As far as I am concerned the more freedom there is for people and companies to do business in as wide an area as possible the better.

Sure ensure any company trading in a particular country follow the wage, H&S and tax legislation etc. But as long as that is done I find the idea that you can't use an Italian company to do a project because they better fit your requirements than a German, Manx, or British one an example of xenophobia pure and simple.

When you hear Obama going on about American companies creating American jobs, or Brown saying British jobs for British workers it sends a shiver down my spine. Economic nationalism destroyed wealth on a huge scale in the 20th century - I reallly hope it won't return now.

I am watching this with interest. Only because human nature intrigues me, what will happen in society if there is massive unemployment? A friend of mine in the UK has been on 'the sick' for years, claiming the migrant workers are working so cheaply that he cannot afford to get a job (he has no self respect/discipline, before you ask). I was musing this point only last night, I work with a migrant worker and he works bloody hard, has 3 jobs and is giving his family as much as he possibly can, compare this man to Mr Im on the sick because of the migrant workers and you might have an idea of why I think the British workforce have had it too easy for too long and have become complacent. People should be happy to have a job and be proud in their work somewhere along the line it all went the wrong way and money became king.

That's a bit brief but I hope you get my point, it would take ages to explain all the 'ins and outs' of my thinking.

I am watching this with interest. Only because human nature intrigues me, what will happen in society if there is massive unemployment? A friend of mine in the UK has been on 'the sick' for years, claiming the migrant workers are working so cheaply that he cannot afford to get a job (he has no self respect/discipline, before you ask). I was musing this point only last night, I work with a migrant worker and he works bloody hard, has 3 jobs and is giving his family as much as he possibly can, compare this man to Mr Im on the sick because of the migrant workers and you might have an idea of why I think the British workforce have had it too easy for too long and have become complacent. People should be happy to have a job and be proud in their work somewhere along the line it all went the wrong way and money became king.

That's a bit brief but I hope you get my point, it would take ages to explain all the 'ins and outs' of my thinking.

That's the crux of this argument. They say in the case above that they've picked the foreign workers not because they're foreign, but because they're the best suited in a fair selection process.

Got to wonder how foreign workers are cost effective currently with the currency so bad.

Archived