Uk Strike - Discriminating Against British Workers

manxy

Protectionism isn't the way forward, that was one of the major factors that got the world deeper into the great depression.

With the exception of the Isle of Man of course, where everyone on a work permit keeping a local out of a job, should get the boat in the morning :P

Some interesting write ups in those links LDV.

Not being overly conversant in politics (or anything else for that matter), it would seem that TOTAL have went for the cheapest 'gang'

A question though; If there is a minimum wage structure and every thing is equal, how could transporting people from Italy, be cheaper than taking on local workers?

I genuinely don't know this and look forward to your answers (except the bad nasty ones)

Some interesting write ups in those links LDV.

Not being overly conversant in politics (or anything else for that matter), it would seem that TOTAL have went for the cheapest 'gang'

A question though; If there is a minimum wage structure and every thing is equal, how could transporting people from Italy, be cheaper than taking on local workers?

I genuinely don't know this and look forward to your answers (except the bad nasty ones)

I heard, how accurate I can't say, that initially Total approached a British company but they couldn't do the job. The company they are using has a permanent team that works on petro-chemical sites around the world and has the skills to do what is needed. So it may not just be a price issue, but quality, time and just plain ability?

Down the road from my place in Ireland there is a major upgrade going on at a power station. It is being project managed by a UK company (so it does work both ways) and the work is being done by a Spanish company. The National Road Authority also got a Turkish company to build a by-pass near here. The work they did is fantastic and was completed for a bit over half the cost and ahead of schedule (at the time the typical NRA performance was for new roads to come in significantly late and for costs to blow out). The one downside was that there was some dishonesty by the contractor in not passing on all the money it received to the workers - but that is a seperate issue that needs proper regulation and control.

The point that has been made about UK people working extensively overseas is definitely one that needs to be taken into account when people grumble about some non-UK people getting to do a job in the UK. I wonder what the 'balance' is on this? Equally (until recently) how much of the world's financial, shipping and commodity trading was done through the UK rather than 'at home'.

link

Interesting!

It'll happen here yet.

IT HAS

link

Interesting!

They forget all the Brits who went out to work on contracts in the Middle East etc

These guys are doing the same thing in reverse.

Yes and we were paid very well for our skills.

As posted , protectionism is not the answer, but the Government must ensure that if a British worker with the skills is available then that worker should be given a chance. Will the Bristish Government be checking out if these workers have criminal records. Britain is a soft touch you only have to look at the way the USA checks out British travelers to the States and then it tells the UK to increase the level of its army in US conflicts.

This reminds me of WW1 when they hung the organ grinder's monkey in Colne because it was a German spy!

You're right! [Except that it happened in Hartlepool during the Napoleonic Wars and it was hung by fishermen who believed it to be a French spy] :rolleyes:

Hence the football clubs nickname the Monkey Hangers

Also In 2002, the team's mascot "H'Angus the Monkey", aka Stuart Drummond, was elected mayor of Hartlepool as an independent, under the slogan "free bananas for schoolchildren".

This reminds me of WW1 when they hung the organ grinder's monkey in Colne because it was a German spy!

You're right! [Except that it happened in Hartlepool during the Napoleonic Wars and it was hung by fishermen who believed it to be a French spy] :rolleyes:

Hartlepool was it - I bet the monkey volunteered to be put out of its misery then.

My version was told to me on Bolton station by a Russian soldier who was knocking the snow off his boots as he got out of a train.

Archived