Oft Probe Into Steam Packet Fuel Surcharges

Amadeus

Is this an example of the growth in visitors he's talking about? :o

To be fair, figures prior to September were better than last year (though for some reason June's figures aren't given).

In my view, the Racket is a much better operation than Flybe. Woodward makes some good points about the cost of running the service - it isn't subsidised, and many sailings are not economic. They have to be paid for by higher fares at peak periods.

My beef with the Racket is that they only have one all-weather boat. And frankly, I am not convinced that the fast craft are really a great benefit. They're certainly not built for the conditions frequently encountered in the Irish Sea, and as a result are extremely unreliable.

S

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting comment on iomyesterday:

Fuel Surcharge aside - has the Steam Packet reduced its on board prices yet in light of the reduction in the VAT rate? I travelled with the Steam Packet in December and noticed that the cost of a cooked breakfast was £7.99. Although the receipt showed VAT at 15%, I believe the cost of a cooked breakfast before 1st December 2008 was also £7.99, so what happened to the 2.5% (overall reduction in price of 2.1%) - oh yes the Steam Packet are profiting. I thought Alistair Darling had implemented the cut with a view to it being enjoyed by the consumer. Does the Steam Packet have an excuse for not passing this on? If other smaller retailers were able to cope with the change why hasn't the Steam Packet. Any comments Mr Woodward?

AB - Douglas

It's possible that the SPC completely mis-read the market and hedged 12 months fuel supply or whatever at what looks now like a ridiculously high price.

If correct this means you now have to pay for their stupidity...

It's a benefit conferred on the Racket by the government that has a monetary value. So why isn't it a subsidy?

: a grant or gift of money: as a: a sum of money formerly granted by the British Parliament to the crown and raised by special taxation b: money granted by one state to another c: a grant by a government to a private person or company to assist an enterprise deemed advantageous to the public

S

it's money's worth, rather than money. It's still a subsidy

Tugger, it's a benefit. The more you blur the definitions, the more imprecise language becomes.

Incidentally, you claimed the benefit had a monetary value. What is that value?

S

It's possible that the SPC completely mis-read the market and hedged 12 months fuel supply or whatever at what looks now like a ridiculously high price.

What it means is we ARE paying for their stupidity.

But if they are simply passing on the cost of their own gamble going wrong, then they should be honest and simply incorporate it into the ticket prices, not try to pretend it's due to some mysterious circumstance outside their control, like the price of oil.

But if they are simply passing on the cost of their own gamble going wrong, then they should be honest and simply incorporate it into the ticket prices, not try to pretend it's due to some mysterious circumstance outside their control, like the price of oil.

If the financial crisis hadn't turned out to be much worse than people expected when they supposedly did their hedging, oil prices would now be over $200 a barrel and we'd all be very grateful.

You can't win every time.

S

If the financial crisis hadn't turned out to be much worse than people expected when they supposedly did their hedging, oil prices would now be over $200 a barrel and we'd all be very grateful.

You can't win every time.

Errrr... I'm guessing guys. Wait and see mode.

Archived