Oft Probe Into Steam Packet Fuel Surcharges

Amadeus

Oh ye of little faith!!! maybe the start point as discussed on another thread is to use a commercial tourism promotion company rather than a government department. But again the IOMSPC has a role to play.

I'm sure that's right. And I suspect that Carol Glover's problems haven't helped the DTL to formulate a proper strategy for this year.

S

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From MR: Steam Packet cuts freight charges

"Freight charges on Steam Packet services are to be cut. From Sunday, the surcharge on freight will drop from £8 per metre to £5 – a reduction of 37 per cent. It’s a surprise move."

"Passenger rates, which are subject to a different scale, will remain the same at £5."

"Freight charges on Steam Packet services are to be cut. From Sunday, the surcharge on freight will drop from £8 per metre to £5 – a reduction of 37 per cent. It’s a surprise move."

Is it a surprise move? You don't suppose that they've picked up certain whispers from any enquiries that might be doing the rounds? Nah. Silly me. That could never happen on the IOM now could it...

And still they provide statistics showing how much is "absorbed by the Steam Packet". When will they put in an extra column to show how much of what "is absorbed" is recovered through the normal freight charges and fares? To be sure it is a lot more than nothing, as would appear to be suggested by the chart provided.

I see that they have a new page of information:

IOMSPC Fuel Surcharges

The fuel surcharge has been reviewed in line with the current arrangement with the Department of Transport.

I assume that the DOT has agreed to the retention of the existing passenger fuel surcharge and the OFT is reviewing whether there should be one!

What intrigues me is that Marine Fuel Oil costs only seem to have dropped, according to the IOMSPC, by 14% since its peak last year whereas domestic heating oil has dropped by about 50% and crude oil costs are now down to 2004 levels.

Does anyone know why Marine Fuel is still so high despite the dramatic fall in demand for shipping.

According to the piece on the IOM newpapers website,

"Mr Woodward said fuel surcharges were not controlled by the Steam Packet Company or the DoT but were based on an agreed mathematical calculation based on oil prices on March 1 and September 1. "

Well March 1st has come and gone and I wonder if anyone out there can work out just how much this unneccesary tax should now be reduced by.

If I book a trip for this coming summer (6 people) I will pay £60 fuel surcharge. If this tax is reduced before I travel I will not get any refund.

Steam Racket = robbing bastards

According to the piece on the IOM newpapers website,

"Mr Woodward said fuel surcharges were not controlled by the Steam Packet Company or the DoT but were based on an agreed mathematical calculation based on oil prices on March 1 and September 1. "

Well March 1st has come and gone and I wonder if anyone out there can work out just how much this unneccesary tax should now be reduced by.

If I book a trip for this coming summer (6 people) I will pay £60 fuel surcharge. If this tax is reduced before I travel I will not get any refund.

Steam Racket = robbing bastards

1st March was a sunday, perhaps he doesn't work sundays

simple solution, cancel and rebook at the new price !

An interesting comparison of prices charged by IOMSPC in 2005 and present day. We always book the starlight offer every year when we come over to the IOM. In 2005 we payed £256 return, for 4 adults and 3 children. We travelled on a Monday morning at the end of July and the return trip on a sunday in the middle of August. The price for the equivelent time and dates including fuel surcharges this year is £451. So I have emailed Mark Woodward with these figures as I find his explanations for the IOMSPC pricing structure to be rather lame. The Starlight Fare is supposed to be a special offer but I find the present price to be far from special. Keep pressuring Tynwald and IOMSPC maybe one we will be able to afford to come back to the IOM.

An interesting comparison of prices charged by IOMSPC in 2005 and present day. We always book the starlight offer every year when we come over to the IOM. In 2005 we payed £256 return, for 4 adults and 3 children. We travelled on a Monday morning at the end of July and the return trip on a sunday in the middle of August. The price for the equivelent time and dates including fuel surcharges this year is £451. So I have emailed Mark Woodward with these figures as I find his explanations for the IOMSPC pricing structure to be rather lame. The Starlight Fare is supposed to be a special offer but I find the present price to be far from special. Keep pressuring Tynwald and IOMSPC maybe one we will be able to afford to come back to the IOM.

Invigilator may I recommend that you also send a copy of your email to the Office of Fair Trade at

Office of Fair Trade Email

I have sent some information to them and they seem keen to include factual public comments, such as yours, in their report on the IOMSPC Fare Structure.

Invigilator may I recommend that you also send a copy of your email to the Office of Fair Trade at

Office of Fair Trade Email

I have sent some information to them and they seem keen to include factual public comments, such as yours, in their report on the IOMSPC Fare Structure.

Thank you for your suggestion I will take it up. It did come as a shock when I did the comparison.

What dates are you looking at?

That seems steep for the night offer, so I've just checked 27 July - 9 August and 3 August to 17 August and it comes out at £381 return. Not cheap, but not quite as bad as orginal. I guess they would argue the £70 fuel surcharge (stealth tax) is not part of the fare 'comparison', so that would make a 'rough' 20% increase since 2005.

About £36 per head in 2005 and £45 now. 4 Adults and 3 kisds, geez, I'm glad I don't have your holiday bill!

The £10 extra on each head makes a big difference for a fuel surcharge.

What dates are you looking at?

That seems steep for the night offer, so I've just checked 27 July - 9 August and 3 August to 17 August and it comes out at £381 return. Not cheap, but not quite as bad as orginal. I guess they would argue the £70 fuel surcharge (stealth tax) is not part of the fare 'comparison', so that would make a 'rough' 20% increase since 2005.

About £36 per head in 2005 and £45 now. 4 Adults and 3 kisds, geez, I'm glad I don't have your holiday bill!

The £10 extra on each head makes a big difference for a fuel surcharge.

I did include the fuel surcharge as I think that its relevant because it would be included in the total price if I booked today. The Starlight overnight offer in 2005 included 1 car and 4 passengers in the price before adding on the extra passengers. You find if you book the Starlight today it is 1 car with only 2 passengers before you add on any extra passengers.

At the weekend we booked a trip on the Ben for next month. I notice that the charge for a cabin is now £42 - last time we travelled (at the end of December) it was about £35.

A 25% increase?

A bit over the rate of inflation, I believe, and clearly not included in the fare/fair price agreement.

Archived