[BBC News] TT entertainment plans revealed

Newsbot

My observations last year was that the average age of those attending the TT was definitely up (far more 30s/40s/50s IMO, as I notice these things). I'd vote for lots of older bands from the 70s and 80s, which I think would go down a treat and would be far less expensive. There's dozens of em still touring (UK/Euro famous) and more pub venues could be covered for the same price of bringing in 'top' bands.

That said, if the average age is up, maybe we also need to think more along the lines of bringing in new younger TT fans too who'll replace the oldies in future years.

It's all about marketing, and whoever is doing the marketing - I have to say has done a crap job over the last few years. Far less visitors from far less different countries.

I also still firmly believe they need to bring in a TT 'Value For Money' scheme, where vendors can have their prices and VFM assessed and get a TT VFM sticker - maybe even perhaps for certain TT related products (certain food/clothing etc.) rather than the venue itself. It doesn't matter who's over here entertaining - if people feel they get ripped off they just won't come here any more.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my observations of the TT, the visitors want to watch bikes and go to pubs. All the rest, including big bands, gets lapped up by residents and not visitors.

The pubs should step up to the plate and provide better entertainment, even if it's just local bands in tents in the car park (I know some do this already :) ), they're the ones cashing in after all. Bushies does a good job, but there's not much else.

Maybe they'd save a bit of cash by printing less T shirts. Every year Spars island wide are still trying to sell off fucking t shirts in August.

I agree on the marketing comment though. I'm not big on bikes at all so I wouldn't know what gets put into the Motorbike press but The last advert I saw for the Island on TV was with 'Keith' whoever the fuck that is. Couldn't they make one to run side by side and promote the TT aswell? Are there TT/ DTL stalls at the Bulldog Bash or any other biking fiestivals that take place in England?

Whats the logistics in setting up a small stage for local bands, perhaps in that town square that doesnt get used for anything at all ? Would give another option as well as Villa, Jaks, Bushys tent as people wander along the prom.....and there seems to be a fair few decent local bands about who would be happy to play a couple of nights, wouldnt need to charge much for this.

Whats the logistics in setting up a small stage for local bands, perhaps in that town square that doesnt get used for anything at all ? Would give another option as well as Villa, Jaks, Bushys tent as people wander along the prom.....and there seems to be a fair few decent local bands about who would be happy to play a couple of nights, wouldnt need to charge much for this.

I reckon you'd have two problems:

1) Earning enough dosh to make it viable, these things aren't cheap to put on

2) Actually getting it done without complaints from the locals, parking issues, safety, insurance, blah blah blah.

3) Getting people to show up, most are just interested in bikes and drinking and nowt else.

I think if you could get into a voluntary thing though, a few gigs in a field would be great. Anyone remember Saxon playing TT week at Port St Mary? That ruled!

Off the top of my head.

Costs going into stage, p.a. hire, lighting (chances are you'd get from the same company) Something like High Fidelity, Switched On or ELS.

You'd need a permit or some sort of permission from the Corpy

To get the Permit you'd need: An Outdoor Music Licence, possibly security staff, insurance.

If you're going to ticket it you'll need to enclose the place off. Which will mean definate security. If you're using the villiars square say that's a few hundred people? I'm not sure wha the ratio security:memberofpublic is.

It would be easier if it was a free open event. The Police would take care of trouble makers and the organisors could just concentrate on running the event.

I remember two similar things happening. DJ's on the roof of Jacks. Great fun but I think there was a lot of trouble. and An AC/DC tribute playing the villiers square one mad sunday. Packed out. I was playing Havana the same night which was dead, I got wrecked drunk.

Off the top of my head.

Costs going into stage, p.a. hire, lighting (chances are you'd get from the same company) Something like High Fidelity, Switched On or ELS.

You'd need a permit or some sort of permission from the Corpy

To get the Permit you'd need: An Outdoor Music Licence, possibly security staff, insurance.

If you're going to ticket it you'll need to enclose the place off. Which will mean definate security. If you're using the villiars square say that's a few hundred people? I'm not sure wha the ratio security:memberofpublic is.

It would be easier if it was a free open event. The Police would take care of trouble makers and the organisors could just concentrate on running the event.

I remember two similar things happening. DJ's on the roof of Jacks. Great fun but I think there was a lot of trouble. and An AC/DC tribute playing the villiers square one mad sunday. Packed out. I was playing Havana the same night which was dead, I got wrecked drunk.

I was DJing on Jaks roof which was going fantastically until some loon fired a flare at me. Now I know my mixing ain't great but Jesus ! ...

...GOMH*...

Maybe the Corpy should put a tent(s) and the equipment together or pay/licence someone to do it. The TT brings a fortune into Douglas. Oh and bring back the carnival that week too please while your at it - and get loads of people involved! I bet there would be a few people happy to take up the challenge, even I know at least one such person myself.

If the corpy got the licence fees from various temporary vendors, instead of it being given away privately (that would go a long way toward paying for it).

Yes was kind of thinking that a bit of money saved from not supporting fair and street events could be redeployed to a local talent or local bands stage somewhere. As well as bringing over some well known bands I think TT week should also have an element of showcasing IOM culture too, sure at least some of the visitors are keen to enjoy a bit of local entertainment, food, beer etc while they are here.

Maybe the Corpy should put a tent(s) and the equipment together or pay/licence someone to do it. The TT brings a fortune into Douglas. Oh and bring back the carnival that week too please while your at it - and get loads of people involved! I bet there would be a few people happy to take up the challenge, even I know at least one such person myself.

Agreed, and I'd rather that than fireworks or red arrows. It used to happen too. Dumpy's rusty nuts used to play on the beach every year, and it was top.

Agreed, and I'd rather that than fireworks or red arrows. It used to happen too. Dumpy's rusty nuts used to play on the beach every year, and it was top.

The Red Arrows are surprisingly cheap - only comes in at around £2500 per display - I researched last year sometime. Fireworks on the other hand are very costly, but great for rounding off a night and keeping the punters (including families) down on the prom for longer.

Archived