Tony Brown Attends Uk Treasury Select Committee

bishbashbosh

the UK just doesn't get the point made over and over again that depositors CANNOT open UK accounts without a uk address, yet feel they are being deprived of tax on income on the (currently a pittance because of their bank rate) interest earned. The solution to that is in their own hands, if they want worldwide depositors in uk banks they have to change THEIR procedures, not whinge threaten and scheme and call names to other countries they feel are reaping their harvest

Don't think that can be right. I just opened a UK deposit account and I don't have a UK address.

did you have to provide a utility bill and your passport ?

Chief Minister Tony Brown has faced down criticism over his appearance before a United Kingdom Treasury Select Committee last week.

Why the fuck didn't he wear his suit. The brown shopkeep coat is alright in the Keys but FFS make a bit of an effort if you're going to London.

Some MHKs claimed Mr Brown’s appearance had been a public relations disaster and demanded to know what the government planned to do next to minimise the damage.

Shall we all chip in to buy him a new suit?

In interview on Manx Radio Mandate this morning, oor Tony described the performances, including his very own I take it, as "...professional..."

After watching the recording of that UK Treasury Committtee, it made me think of the scenes in the Ally Mcbeal TV series, where Ally is at an important board meeting and she keeps imagining herself as just a little girl in a big chair with her legs dangling.

I probably had a low level of expectation but Brown did better than I expected.

It seems to me many on here etc expected him to be all guns blazing but this was not a public debate, or a trial where an independent party reviews the evidence and makes a judgement or a report.

It was a UK select committee and accordingly I think you probably have to be cautious how you approach and respond as it is the select comittee that will write the ultimate report not an independent third party. Therefore you probably have to be a bit cautious how you respond. Annoy them or get their backs up and I would guess that the chances of you and your evidence being reflected well in the report are reduced. Listening to the questioning whist most of the MPs were fairly fair at least one obviously saw all "offshore financial centres" as being intrinsically dodgy. Accordingly then you probably have to decide going in how you will "perform" as is your primary motive looking good to "outsiders" during the meeting or how you come out in the report.

Ultimatly we will only find ou the answer when the report is published but in an undemonstrative way I believe they got the point across that the problems arising in the IoM should really be laid at the door of the FSA and the UK.

He can give himself as much self-congratulations as he likes...fact is though....it's what other people think that matters Tony, depositors and electorate alike.

If you watch the hearing then to me it appears very clear he is wearing a suit! Never mind the facts get in the way of a good moan at an MHK.

Why the fuck didn't he wear his suit. The brown shopkeep coat is alright in the Keys but FFS make a bit of an effort if you're going to London.

Shall we all chip in to buy him a new suit?

I believe they got the point across that the problems arising in the IoM should really be laid at the door of the FSA and the UK.

Like the UK 1). Give a sh*t and 2). Give a sh*t.

Do you really think that the UK will ever put their hands up and say 'actually you know you're right it was the FSA's fault all along'. Dream on. We're a lovely little offshore scapegoat for everything and Gordon Brown's government could not give a sh*t whether this closes down our finance sector or puts us all on the dole. In fact he'd likely be quite happy if it did as it would save them the job of closing us down at some stage in the future. Blame the recession, blame the credit crunch, but either way this shitty little tax dodging backwater is no longer his problem.

Archived