Buses - Strike Coming?

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I struggle to understand why certain professions don't seem to be effected by supply and demand. Bus drivers and posties spring to mind. Dead mans shoes type of jobs because of the pay and the hours, why do they pay them so competitively or offer such cushy hours when there's crowds of people trying to get those jobs?

I'm sure there's no shortage of people out there who'd take that job off their hands.

You would think, in these uncertain times, that people would just get their head down and get on with it.

Exactly. We were told in November there would be no pay rises or bonuses this year for any of us, but no one grumbled we just get on a work damn hard to make our company succeed. Some people are too soft.

I struggle to understand why certain professions don't seem to be effected by supply and demand. Bus drivers and posties spring to mind. Dead mans shoes type of jobs because of the pay and the hours, why do they pay them so competitively or offer such cushy hours when there's crowds of people trying to get those jobs?

Would you mind explaining some more what you mean?

You would think, in these uncertain times, that people would just get their head down and get on with it.

You might think that, so I wonder why they are not.

Exactly. We were told in November there would be no pay rises or bonuses this year for any of us, but no one grumbled we just get on a work damn hard to make our company succeed. Some people are too soft.

I know quite a few on the Island have been quite upset about it. I don't mean to say all, hoever.

Maybe these bus drivers have sense. I mean, you lot are the workers, you work as you say damn hard. Why the complacency? Why should you not get what you have earned? I think those who haven't grumbled don't know how bad they have it.

Aah, yes because your company is not making as much profit as it did given the mistakes made by bosses in other companies, and your bosses think it is acceptable to withold the possibility of pay rises and bonuses. You can work your arse off as hard as you want, but it sounds as if you stance is not that you and your colleagues succeed, but rather to try and get more profit for your bosses and maybe they will be generous enough to give you what you have worked for.

I thought I did? It's fairly simple; the pay should be as low as an employer can get away with. If there's candidates out there knocking your door down, a large supply of suitable staff, like in the case of buss drivers and postmen, then the pay and perks are too high.

The pay should be as low as the market can bear without adversely affecting operations.

If they strike, hire in some new talent, and let the strikers know how important they really are

That just demonstrates how truly shafted everyone is by the very system we live in. Talk about brainwashing.

If you work the same hours, do the same work, and even work harder then why should there be changes to what you should get from doing that work. I say this independent of how the system works, because the system serves to put you at the whim of profit and the decisionmaking of your bosses. When the market fails, you suffer. This isn't right and its not your fault, why should anyone suffer for it.

Pay should be as constant as it was. But unfortunately, the employed are at the whim of the capitalist system.

But regardless of this perspective, what gets my goat is the contempt for strikers. Now that all strikes are the right thing, but in respect of wages they certainly are. Simply because you would lose you job, you have suffered because you get no pay rise, and job is insecure does not mean you should show contempt for those who realise it and want to do something about it.

But more than anything else, they could be risking their jobs doing this so is not a decision taken lightly. Why not support them?

I thought I did? It's fairly simple; the pay should be as low as an employer can get away with. If there's candidates out there knocking your door down, a large supply of suitable staff, like in the case of buss drivers and postmen, then the pay and perks are too high.

Brings wages down? All for the sake of maintaining the system? Talking about pulling out all the stops to keep good ole capitalists chugging away making profit.

Brings wages down? All for the sake of maintaining the system? Talking about pulling out all the stops to keep good ole capitalists chugging away making profit.

Sure, in a recession why shouldn't wages come down? But normally you wouldn't give people a pay cut, you'd just freeze the rises until inflation catches up.

It's not about good ole capitalists making a profit, it's about making business sustainable. If the wages were lower per bus driver, perhaps we could have more drivers rather than more profit, for example?

Full Press Release from the DTL yesterday afternoon which explains it in a bit more detail. It is only affecting 9 people, and I can't see what the problem is......

MEDIA RELEASE

Issue date: 3 February 2009

BUS INSPECTOR’S PAY DISPUTE

The Department has been in discussions with the Union Prospect for over a year. The Union is seeking to renegotiate the terms and conditions of the Inspectors’ group, which comprises nine members of staff, five Inspectors and four Depot Supervisors.

Whilst the Department has sought to respond in a positive way it has established two key principles which must underpin any revised terms and conditions:-

(a) any new arrangements should be based on a single group, removing the present differences between Inspectors and Depot Supervisors; and

(b) there should be no net increase in staff costs for the groups as a whole.

Mr Graham Cregeen, MHK, the Department Member with delegated responsibility for Public Transport explained:

‘The five Inspectors provide a duty manager service for the bus network from 0600 to 0015, seven days a week, 364 days a year. This involves considerable overtime working and by amalgamating the Inspectors and Depot Supervisors we could achieve a much fairer allocation of work and reduce our overtime costs. This would in turn fund any changes to terms and conditions which may be agreed.

The Department remains ready to negotiate either directly or through the Industrial Relations Service. Whilst we believe that there is scope for a settlement the Union does need to understand that in the present circumstance there is, quite simply, no new money available.’

Mr Cregeen concluded:

‘I very much hope that commonsense will prevail but if the staff do resort to industrial action we will do everything we can to minimize the impact on the travelling public.’

The Minister for Tourism & Leisure, Hon Martyn Quayle MHK, added:

‘It has been widely reported that the Department of Tourism and Leisure will be facing huge financial pressures over the coming year. Whilst I and my team are keen to work with our staff to minimise the impact of these pressures on our front line services, there does need to be a recognition that changes to terms and conditions which increase our cost base are completely unrealistic.’

Ends

Archived