Should Prince Harry Resign?

Should Prince Harry resign?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's think how they "earn" their money. Charles gets money from the public list. But he also collects rents from the Duchy of Cornwall and other land. Inherited wealth. He's not a self-made man, is he?

Charles gets no money from the public purse - his income is derived from the annual net surplus of the Duchy of Cornwall. He does not own the Duchy - in effect he's a trustee, as it will be handed on to the next Heir Apparent (presumably William as and when Charles accedes to the throne). As a Crown body, the Duchy is exempt from income tax, but Charles pays the 40% tax voluntarily (on the year ending 2002 earnings of £7,827,000, he would have paid £3,103,800 in Income Tax).

Andrew, Edward, Anne, the Gloucesters, the Kents and Princess Alexandra all receive parliamentary annuities, but the Queen repays the Treasury with the full amount. The Duke of Edinburgh receives £359,000 to carry out public duties, and the Civil List pays the Royal household £7.9 million per year of which 70% pays staff salaries.

Read up on a subject before making blanket statements.

Charles gets no money from the public purse - his income is derived from the annual net surplus of the Duchy of Cornwall.  He does not own the Duchy - in effect he's a trustee, as it will be handed on to the next Heir Apparent (presumably William as and when Charles accedes to the throne).  As a Crown body, the Duchy is exempt from income tax, but Charles pays the 40% tax voluntarily (on the year ending 2002 earnings of £7,827,000, he would have paid £3,103,800 in Income Tax).

Read up on a subject before making blanket statements.

So precisely where in the Duchy of Cornwall does this money come from? Out of the ground? Off trees?

No, people and businesses have to pay. Why should that money not go to the people who live in Cornwall or even the Treasury instead of Charles.

Or for that matter, the people who presently pay that money, simply be no longer required to do so.

Engage brain before telling people to "read up on a subject before making blanket statements".

Who knows - the first Earl of Cornwall I've found online was Reginald de Dunstanville in 1141 (it was changed to a Duchy by Edward III in 1337, and that's when it started as passing to the Heir Apparent).

Do you reckon Eton charges them?  Or do they let them in free for the kudos?

I should hope so. I don't want their to be any scrimping in the education of my sovereign's family.

On another point from this thread, I specifically started smoking B&H because they were royally approved fags (sorry Edward old boy, not that sort) and because I wanted teeth like the Queen Mother's.

Apparently Charles has withdrawn Gallaher's charter because he doesn't like CPB smoking.

http://www.smokeshopmag.com/0499/signal3.htm

Archived