Cav Wins His First Big Race

Slim

I see Peter Kennaugh is going to be part of team Sky - nice move I think, especially if they can pry Wiggins out of his garmin slipstream contract.

They've got their pro tour license too, so he may well be a TDF contender soon.

He's also in the British u23 squad for the worlds, alongside Mark Christian, impressive stuff!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/mor...icle6843560.ece

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looking at the iomtoday website to see if there's any more news on Jonny Bellis and at the bottom of the page with the latest story is one of those google ads that picks up on the screen content. It's advertising 'head injury compensation'. I know this obviously works automatically, but FFS.

Cav's a funny man when it comes to his weight! last year he was at home for 2weeks ill with a cold, he couldn't train or do anything! and he put weight on.. I remember he tell me how he has put on so much weight etc etc... tbh he didn't look like he had at all! but after seeing him again at the tour he is sooo skinny! but all Muscle!! thats what dedication does to you.

• 3 months later...

"There was a hint of that characteristic volatility when he would not commit himself on his plans for the 2012 Olympics and announced that the priorities this autumn would include the World Championships in Melbourne and the historic Paris-Tours race rather than the road or track events at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi. "I've sacrificed one race for national pride and I'm not going to do it again," he said, tacitly referring to 2008, when he left the Tour de France early to prepare for the Beijing Olympics but left the games disillusioned and empty-handed."

Interesting. I wonder how much of that "I've sacrificed one race for national pride and I'm not going to do it again" is about how he feels he was treated at the last olympics?

Still, I suspect he might well get that green jersey over the next few years, and it's his career and his choice. I think he is probably doing the right thing - winning that Green jersey and the Tour De France is better than any medal IMO. Medals will tend to come too on that journey I suspect.

Still, I suspect he might well get that green jersey over the next few years, and it's his career and his choice. I think he is probably doing the right thing - winning that Green jersey and the Tour De France is better than any medal IMO. Medals will tend to come too on that journey I suspect.

He's definitely doing the right thing, he's a pro tour rider in the most successful team in the world today.

Fantastic year ahead for Manx cycling fans potentially; Cav's green is the priority in HTC Columbia and we've got a British pro tour team for the first time in donkeys with Team Sky and there's a Manx rider in their ranks. This means more cycling on the telly and hopefully more support. Brilliant stuff.

This means more cycling on the telly Brilliant stuff.

o god i hope not :(

• 2 weeks later...

"Fantastic year ahead for Manx cycling fans potentially; Cav's green is the priority in HTC Columbia and we've got a British pro tour team for the first time in donkeys with Team Sky and there's a Manx rider in their ranks. This means more cycling on the telly and hopefully more support. Brilliant stuff." [slim]

Tim Kennaugh won the Revolution scratch race in Manchester...

They have set up a Trust Fund to support Jonny Bellis's recovery...

Mark Christian has performed well at the World Cup in Beijing.

http://www.manxroadclub.com/

and Pete Kennaugh's first pro season at Team Sky was previewed in an interesting Telegraph article a few weeks back.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...-minds-eye.html

He wont be seeing Le Tour this year it seems but Vuelta a Espana will be a massive challenge and learning experience - its one of the 3 'Grand Tours'.

Meanwhile Cav has delayed the start of his season for a few weeks. If he wasn't the fastest sprinter on the planet he might almost be at risk of being eclipsed by his compatriots.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...ing/8475661.stm

Allez le Manx!

• 3 months later...

Good effort from Pete Kennaugh in his first Pro Tour yesterday, he's standing at 66th in the GC (out of 156), not bad for someone who broke their collarbone a few weeks ago! Good start from Cav in yesterdays race, but he didn't manage to hold on over the last climb and finished up 113rd overall.

Great win for Cav and HTC today, and good value in the interview after.

1272558474761-1d47iewgsy27-280-75.jpg

"to send a message to commentators and journalists who don't know jack shit about cycling,"

Pete Kennaugh also doing well, 66th in the GC.

Great win for Cav and HTC today, and good value in the interview after.

1272558474761-1d47iewgsy27-280-75.jpg

"to send a message to commentators and journalists who don't know jack shit about cycling,"

3, 2, 1, backfire:

Mark Cavendish has been withdrawn from Tour de #Romandie by HTC-Columbia as a result of his two-finger salute at stage 2's finish

http://twitter.com/cyclingweekly

Archived