Cav Wins His First Big Race

Slim

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the comments in this thread, he's got a point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/F17028723?thread=7463811&skip=100&show=50

Seems he's not that well liked anywhere to be fair.

I don't know anything about cycling, but I gather he's had a poor season so far? Seems that when things aren't going his way overall, he turns into a spoiled little shit.

Seems he's not that well liked anywhere to be fair.

I don't know anything about cycling, but I gather he's had a poor season so far? Seems that when things aren't going his way overall, he turns into a spoiled little shit.

I don't think that's 'to be fair' at all. I'm more interested in the 106 miles he road before that salute, and the comeback he's made from losing a stack of bodyweight through an infection delaying his season start. He's got issues, it's clear, but I can see his point here; why are people only commenting on his uppers and not his win?

Last weekends win of the Liege Bastogne Liege by was far more offensive.

I like Cav interviews personally, he might be a gob but at least he's frank and speaks his mind. I'd rather that than generic bollocks.

I don't think that's 'to be fair' at all. I'm more interested in the 106 miles he road before that salute, and the comeback he's made from losing a stack of bodyweight through an infection delaying his season start. He's got issues, it's clear, but I can see his point here; why are people only commenting on his uppers and not his win?

People who don't care about competitive cycling (ie the vast majority of the population) are only going to see the things that make the headline news. Cavendish winning a race somewhere in Europe might command a paragraph somewhere in the sports pages that even people reading the sports pages would probably skim over. Cavendish being withdrawn from the competition by his own team for offensive juvenile gestures to the crowd? That's going to be much more prominent and newsworthy and it's that kind of publicity that he generates for himself that on the balance of things, paint him in an unfavourable light not only to the unwashed masses outside of the sport, but also amongst a good portion of cycling fans from what I can see.

Form is temporary, class is permanent and right now, he doesn't appear to have either.

I think it's out of proportion all the same. It wasn't the best thing he could have done, but hardly the end of the world, and nothing compared to his other achievements. Cav does the uppers, everyone's calling him names, he gets fined £3.5 grand, gets taken out of a tour early, has his prize money taken off him. Rangers striker single fingers the crowd and pulls his shorts down in a game, £500 quid fine and nobody really notices.

Point is, he acted like a spoiled brat and was punished like one. Now you just have to see if he learns from this.

I hope he doesn't. You may prefer your sports personalities airbrushed to anonymity, but I enjoy watching him just how he is.

He should have talked it down as a victory salute:

churchillvsign.jpg

From the comments in this thread, he's got a point.

Piss off Slim. I was competing with the Manx Road Club on the Island and in the UK long before you got off your ass and started to get obsessed with cycling. Having a knowledge of and interest in competitive cycling doesn't mean I still can't think Cav is petulant and plenty of others do to.

Sometimes it seems difficult to understand people who reach the top in things, you have to realise they are often very different to most people, that's why they get there. And being at the top is only a relatively momentary part of their lives given all the work they put in. They often have little brain explosions and come out with something totally unexpected or even non-sensible. You have to remember too that he was pretty young when all of this pressure was first put on him/put on himself.

I'd be doing the same thing today to my bosses/clients if I'd won the £51M Euromillions last night.

Archived