Cav Wins His First Big Race

Slim

Piss off Slim. I was competing with the Manx Road Club on the Island and in the UK long before you got off your ass and started to get obsessed with cycling. Having a knowledge of and interest in competitive cycling doesn't mean I still can't think Cav is petulant and plenty of others do to.

Any need for getting so personal? My post wasn't aimed at you.

What I meant was, here's a thread where people who have no interest in cycling are deriding him...... ah forget it.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont give a shit about cycling, but its still good to see the lad do well.

To get to the top in cycling takes more than ambition, his dedication to fitness must dominate nearly his whole life, so a bit of petulance for so much sacrifice in lifestyle and time to get where he is, is fair enough by me, plus i would personally stick atleast one finger upto most of you fuckers anyway.

Ya gotta love slim the forums very own cycling evangelist.

What I meant was, here's a thread where people who have no interest in cycling are deriding him...... ah forget it.

But as demonstrated, there are people who do have an interest in cycling who feels exactly the same way.

Maybe you need to make it clear in your opening post that this thread is only for people who agree with you.

But as demonstrated, there are people who do have an interest in cycling who feels exactly the same way.

Course there are, something like this is bound to split opinion. I don't think it was a smart move particularly, I just think you're going ott with the reaction and saying he spits the dummy when things go wrong. This is almost the opposite of that, he's kicked it up when he's won and kept pretty quiet when he's been off form. I also think you're pretty quck to slag him off when you get the chance, but not really arsed when he's doing well.

Alex Downie MLC has just gushed on Manx Radio Opinion programme that Mark Cavendish is an excellent ambassador for the Isle of Man.

Official.

I also think you're pretty quck to slag him off when you get the chance, but not really arsed when he's doing well.

As I explained to you before, negative publicity like this makes for a bigger splash in the news pages. Competitive cycling is a minority sport and as such, doesn't feature heavily in everyday news. Hence, I never really get to hear about him doing well, only when he's being a dick.

I only came into this thread because I read about his arsehole behaviour on the front page of Sky Sports. Normally, nobody really gives a shit about cycling.

As I explained to you before, negative publicity like this makes for a bigger splash in the news pages. Competitive cycling is a minority sport and as such, doesn't feature heavily in everyday news. Hence, I never really get to hear about him doing well, only when he's being a dick.

I only came into this thread because I read about his arsehole behaviour on the front page of Sky Sports. Normally, nobody really gives a shit about cycling.

Yep, that's fine, but from my perspective, as someone who's followed the early season closely, it looks a bit different. He's been pretty quiet, the Greiple stuff aside. This is why I said I thought your post was unfair. He's had a lot of 'last year was a fluke' and 'his career is over' type bad press, and the uppers was a reaction to that.

I'm happy to be disagreed with by the way, but you have to accept that my opinion as someone who's following the sport might be different from yours.

In other news, Peter Kennaugh's next race is the Tour De Picarde on the 16th May, then he's off to Bayern-Rundfahrt (ooer missus) on the 26th.

Good article in the Telegraph today about Jonny Bellis and his frankly amazing recovery from near death:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/7682404/Jonny-Bellis-thanks-the-cycling-gods-for-chance-to-ride-again.html#

"The island is a great place to recover, there is such a strong cycling community, we all meet every morning at the sports centre gates and off we go, young an old. There is a lot of support. I'm very lucky."

Great news that Bellis is recovering well. These things always take time and a 'strong cycling community' can make a lot of difference. Not sure this thread has quite captured the spirit of such a 'community' just yet...!

Archived