Cav Wins His First Big Race

Slim

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete Kennaugh's doing well for his team in the Dauphine, bringing Thomas up to finish in 3rd:

"The Welshman was guided into position brilliantly by Peter Kennaugh in a frenetic finale and was the first rider to kick for the line after sweeping around a tight right-hand corner with 300 metres to go."

BBC Radio 4 Programme today, seemed to be all about Bradley Wiggins. I don't think the programme even mentioned the lad from the Isle of Man.

I don't think the team has named its TdF squad yet, so the only rider who's deffo doing it is Wiggins, though I expect Boasson Hagen will feature after his win this weekend. Don't think Pete will get a place, given he's a new pro and doing Ster Elektrotoer a few weeks before.

The accident was his fault, he's been given a time penalty and had points docked, and his fellow riders have been complaining about him. He's not making many friends...

Accidents happen, it's not competitive knitting.

Accidents do happen, but they are also caused by people breaking the rules and riding dangerously. If the other riders think strongly enough to delay the start of a race by holding a 2 minute protest against him, you can hardly say he's doing/done nothing wrong. And spitting on the ground in front of the protesters is just another example of him acting like a classless knob.

Accidents do happen, but they are also caused by people breaking the rules and riding dangerously. If the other riders think strongly enough to delay the start of a race by holding a 2 minute protest against him, you can hardly say he's doing/done nothing wrong. And spitting on the ground in front of the protesters is just another example of him acting like a classless knob.

Or it's another example of a judgemental knob.

So you don't actually have an argument then, apart from the fact you love him...

I'd argue that there's no need to attack the guy constantly with personal insults. He is at fault here, he's owned up to it but has, in my view, correctly said that he's not the only one at fault. The other teams are pissed, of course they are, they're in competition with each other and Cav wins a lot of races. Cav would have probably won this one had the accident not happened. Cav's drifting off line while his heads down, but it's an equally head down HH's wheel that hits Cav's if you watch the reply, not the other way round.

It's a sport, there's fouls from time to time, it happens, makes it more interesting.

So the other teams are pissed just because he wins lots of races? Nothing to do with his behaviour and aggressive attitude then?

I wonder if any of the 20 riders he brought down and injured agree with you about it being interesting. Especially Coyot who is out with a possible broken hip.

I don't understand why people keep defending him, there's a reason he's so disliked. And before you say it, it's not because he's successful, there have been much more successful sportsmen than him that have had respect within their sports and from fans alike. It's because he acts like a knob. If he had just held his hands up and said "Sorry guys, I screwed up" he would get a lot more respect than acting like a petulant child and saying "it wasn't just my fault". He was the only rider penalised, but I guess if you think others were to blame then you must know better than the race jury and his fellow competitors who do this for a living, right?

British National Chaps are on Sunday, Eurosport at 15:00. We've a few manxies riding, Mark Cavendish, Tim and Peter Kennaugh, Jonny Bellis (in only his second outing since his accident), Mark Christian and Chris Whorral. Nice preview on british cycling here: http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/20100618-Preview--Men-s-RR-Championships-0

So the other teams are pissed just because he wins lots of races? Nothing to do with his behaviour and aggressive attitude then?

I wonder if any of the 20 riders he brought down and injured agree with you about it being interesting. Especially Coyot who is out with a possible broken hip.

I don't understand why people keep defending him, there's a reason he's so disliked. And before you say it, it's not because he's successful, there have been much more successful sportsmen than him that have had respect within their sports and from fans alike. It's because he acts like a knob. If he had just held his hands up and said "Sorry guys, I screwed up" he would get a lot more respect than acting like a petulant child and saying "it wasn't just my fault". He was the only rider penalised, but I guess if you think others were to blame then you must know better than the race jury and his fellow competitors who do this for a living, right?

He did hold his hands up, he said he was partly to blame, but that he wasn't entirely to blame. He certainly doesn't do himself any favors with the press, but to judge someone purely on the recent headlines is unfair, and doesn't reconcile with the bloke who's at the top of his sport but still comes down to the gates on a Saturday morning and rides with our juniors. Imagine if you're a casual football player and Rooney popped down to the park every so often and joined you for a kick about, you'd be pretty chuffed no?

Archived