Cav Wins His First Big Race

Slim

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[

Ponderer, get a grip on your fanboyism. I posted the thread, I'm a big supporter, and was only commenting on a slightly contentious issue. Hardly sad.

Nothing personal Slim. It wasn't meant to be a comment about you or any other individual.

But I just think there is something about the Manx psyche that stops people from being able to affirm and celebrate real Manx talent and excellence ...

I dont really do fanboyism. It would be great if Bellis, Christian, Kennaughs, Nicholson et al can also become top cyclists.

But Cav is showing early signs and potential to become one of THE great sprint road cyclists of the his generation.

Yet somehow the Manx don't seem to have what takes to realise this still less properly celebrate Cav's achievement. In any other country....

... also he shouldn't have put that hat on... !

[

Ponderer, get a grip on your fanboyism. I posted the thread, I'm a big supporter, and was only commenting on a slightly contentious issue. Hardly sad.

Nothing personal Slim. It wasn't meant to be a comment about you or any other individual.

But I just think there is something about the Manx psyche that stops people from being able to affirm and celebrate real Manx talent and excellence ...

I dont really do fanboyism. It would be great if Bellis, Christian, Kennaughs, Nicholson et al can also become top cyclists.

But Cav is showing early signs and potential to become one of THE great sprint road cyclists of the his generation.

Yet somehow the Manx don't seem to have what takes to realise this still less properly celebrate Cav's achievement. In any other country....

... also he shouldn't have put that hat on... !

The other side is that he beat Boonen in a sprint last year when Boonen started celebrating the victory too early, so one would hope that Cav would learn from that ;)

I think he is probably the best sprint finisher around, and as you say, has the potential to be one of the best ever, which is why I'm still narked at the Olympics, putting him in one event with a guy who'd already done lots of cycling and was therefore not at the same level of fitness as Cav, especially for a long event like the Madison.

Constructive criticism is supposed to be helpful, not make people all defensive :D but when push came to shove, Cav did still win the stage, even celebrating early - he just might not next time.

....he'd get ignored too. Most people simply don't care about cycling. In fact, if it's not F1, Football, Rugby or Cricket, it really doesn't feature on the radar at all in the UK. Depressing.

Well done Cav.

Cycling is still terribly dull though.

Hopefully your success doesn't encourage more on the annoying twats to fill the roads as well

Happy to say it looks like you're wrong, was out for a ride today and saw more cyclists than ever.

Was just reading about this years Etape event, which has sold out instantly with the maximum 3,000 entries, almost double last years entry. Estimated to generate £500,000 for local business in Perth, it's quite something.

The end to end 2009 on the island's not far off it's 500 rider limit either.

Cycling popularity seems to be booming.

• 2 weeks later...
perhaps he was in a better place to judge than the cameraman, anyway, makes a better picture for the media :D

Praps, but it was pretty damn close and he deffo celebrated before the line:

STAGESIDECLOVIS.jpg

It's the thicker tyres!

I think you will find the tyres are about the same thickness, but the wheels are different.

• 3 weeks later...
perhaps he was in a better place to judge than the cameraman, anyway, makes a better picture for the media :D

Praps, but it was pretty damn close and he deffo celebrated before the line:

STAGESIDECLOVIS.jpg

It's the thicker tyres!

I think you will find the tyres are about the same thickness, but the wheels are different.

Tyres are about 18mm wide 120psi. The profile of the rims can be flat or triangular. (As if that would make a difference over 180 miles.)

Cav's season so far...

- More focused road based training in the winter left him lighter and in better condition than last year.

- Stronger on the climbs - so won 4th stage of Tour of California

- almost as important is that he's handling the media better.

2 stage wins in Tour of Qatar. 2 stage wins in Tour of California (fast becoming the biggest road cycle race in the US). Wins last stage of Tirreno-Adriatico. Despite it being a longer distance than he has raced before and included some challenging climbs, has now won one of the top European one day 'classics' at his first attempt - Milano San Remo. All against the best in the world.

Cycling Weekly's analysis concludes that he is already on his way to becoming 'one the greats...'

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Analys...cle_279144.html

Cav goes from strength to strength and is leaving his competitors - including some of the fastest road sprinters on the planet - in his wake.

So next challenges? World Track Championships along with Pete Kennaugh and Jonny Bellis (on BBC2 and interactive this week). Then Ghent. Then presumably challenging for stage wins and potentially the Green points classification in one of the Grand Tours.

• 1 month later...

Archived