Cav Wins His First Big Race

Slim

some gritty comments amongst the write-ups :)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009//giro...results/giro091

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=new...may09/may09news

On the eve of the start of the Giro d'Italia, Mark Cavendish stoked the (mostly) friendly rivalry burning between his Columbia-Highroad team and Garmin-Slipstream, calling Garmin's apparent fixation with the 20.5km team time trial that kicks off the Italian Grand Tour on Saturday "disrespectful".

Garmin recently spent three days at their base in Girona, Spain, working solely on team time trial drills.

"The thing about it is that the Giro's 21 days," Cavendish said Friday morning. "I think it's a bit disrespectful to the race [Garmin staking so much on this]… Your race is going to start on the first day and end on the first day, and that's what Garmin is fundamentally doing. They've said their season starts tomorrow. Their sponsor's paid money for the first six months of the year [sic]…and I think that's highly respectful to those guys. It's May. Their season starts tomorrow, and I think it's going to end tomorrow night. I mean, come on..."

Cavendish was speaking to a small gathering of journalists in the hotel Westin Palace, close to Venice's world-famous Piazza San Marco. At the same press briefing, Columbia chief Bob Stapleton added further spice to what is shaping up to be a fascinating duel between the two American-based outfits, pointing out that his team won 16 individual time trials in 2008, as compared with Garmin's year-end total of 12 victories of any description. Garmin did, however, beat Columbia by seven seconds to win the equivalent team time trial in last year's Giro in Palermo.

Bradley Wiggins, who joined Garmin from Columbia at the end of last year, commented of this year's TTT on Thursday, "as long as we beat Columbia we'll be alright…"

Although agreeing that preparation was vital for a technical event like Saturday's, Cavendish claimed that his team had done little in the way of practice.

wind'em up yessir :D

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“I want to take this opportunity to say that I went a bit far the other day with what I said. It wasn't directed at the riders but just at the comments by the directeur. I was perhaps wrong to take it out on the riders, but I only said what a lot of people said.”

He does give great press:

“I think I'm quite well known for erupting just after crossing the finish line but when I calmed down I realised I'd been a dickhead,” he said with a smile.

Fantastic result, especially with all the pressure on him.

Saw him interviewed on BBC by Gabby Whatsherface yesterday - good interview - Cav mature, with an excellent outlook and philosophy from him - not like the post-olympic newsrag rant (as understandable that was to some degree).

If he keeps that level of dedication and matureness up - I think he'll go very far, and be remembered long after some people like Bradley etc. Much more to come methinks with that attitude.

I am now officially a fan.

/whirrrr

He held a significant lead in the first part of today's stage but was pipped by just a second crossing the line in Piazza Unita, Trieste. He still hold the 'pink jersey' going in to the next stage. Many riders fell out as the roads were tight and the climbs in part of the city circuit were steep.

Full news stories from Lo Gazzetta dello Sport (English or Italian)

Lo Gazzetta dello Sport - Giro d'Italia 2009

Photos of some of today's action which I shot earlier. The first piccie shows somebody (no idea who but they're in Cavendish's team so maybe it could be him) racing on the 1st circuit of Trieste. The second pic is of the pack racing around the city streets on the 2nd lap. The final pic is of Mark waiting patiently inside the anti-doping caravans after coming 2nd.

post-1464-1241982668_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1241982925_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1241982962_thumb.jpg

Photos of some of today's action which I shot earlier. The first piccie shows somebody (no idea who but they're in Cavendish's team so maybe it could be him) racing on the 1st circuit of Trieste.

....pssssstt, he's the one in the 'pink jersey' :P

Slim he has a point -

Smoking in pubs causes minor irritation to non-smokers. Ban fags.

Dog shit causes minor irritation to walkers. Ban dogs.

Cyclists cause minor irritation to car owners. Ban bikes.

Smoking in pubs causes minor irritation to non-smokers. Ban fags.

Dog shit causes minor irritation to walkers. Ban dogs.

Cyclists cause minor irritation to car owners. Ban bikes.

Na, you've got that backwards:

Cars cause irritation to cyclists, ban cars!

(I'm not sure a lingering cancerous death from passive smoking is a 'minor irritation' either!)

Archived