Cav Wins His First Big Race

Slim

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think Cav did anything wrong - and the ITV4 commentators called the decision harsh.

Hushovd claimed Cav had pushed him, but he didn't.

He was simply aware that his team mate would win the yellow jersey if they could slow the finish. I thought Cav gave a mature interview about it before today's race...

http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.566251

Well he's honest! What did he mean about Hincappie unjustly losing yellow?

He didn't mean there was anything sinister. Just that it was unsporting for the AG2R team to chase the breakaway and deny Hincapie, who has been such a stalwart of the tour over the years, the yellow. But given that it is a race and that it was a member of their team in yellow that they were defending, I'm glad they did chase it, much as I like Hincapie.

But Hincapie himself was angry at Armstrong and Astana as he felt they were chasing too, which Armstrong furiously denies.

He was simply aware that his team mate would win the yellow jersey if they could slow the finish. I thought Cav gave a mature interview about it before today's race...

Comes across very well there, he's clearly gutted but he justly raised the fatality as the big tragedy of the day.

I didn't think Cav did anything wrong - and the ITV4 commentators called the decision harsh.

Hushovd claimed Cav had pushed him, but he didn't.

He was simply aware that his team mate would win the yellow jersey if they could slow the finish.

They called the PENALTY harsh, but the decision correct.

Having seen yesterday's interviews now, I do believe that Cav was trying to look after Hincapie, rather than trying to eek out an extra point or two by having team mates between him and Hushovd, it would explain the looking around.

Big shame as he has no chance other than Hushovd crashing on a srpint now.

Very prominent manx flag carried by a guy running along the road on the final climb of today's stage. He'll be waiting a while for Cavendish though.

Shame for Wiggins today - looks like the aim of the day was to drop him and it succeeded - makes tomorrow's time trial mouth watering though.

But he is going to win the green jersey by more than the penalty.

There's one stage left, and it's a sprinter stage worth 25 points to the winner. Without the disq losing 13 points, Cav had a shot at the points competition, but now he's too far away. Granted, it was a long shot, but he had a chance.

Archived